AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a Samsung LCD HDTV that has an optical out, a Logitech z5500 speaker system that has an optical input for dolby digital decoding, a Playstation 3 and an XBOX 360.

my question is if i can connect my Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 to the back of my tv via HDMI, and then using an optical cable go from the optical out on my tv to the optical in on my logitech receiver and obtain full dolby digital sound?

in trying this setup, i switch to my relevant option on my tv (i.e, playstation 3) and put the receiver to optical, but i get no sound and on my logitech receiver it says "no digital data".

is this setup possible or must i buy a better receiver solution? thanks for any help.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The problem isn't with your receiver, it's with your TV (and it's not really a problem, just the way HDTV's work.) Most TV's do not pass digital signals from the HDMI input to the digital out. The digital out is only used to pass DD from OTA broadcasts. I'm not familiar with your setup exactly, but your best bet is probably to run HDMI to the TV and then run optical directly from your sources to your receiver (i.e. hook your PS3 to your TV using HDMI, and your PS3 to your receiver directly through optical). If you only have one optical input, you have a couple of options--either get an optical switch (monoprice has them), hook up via analog (meaning that you won't get surround sound), or get a new receiver. The decision's really up to you and what you're willing to put up with. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, you cleared up alot of main points for me. i think i'll just invest in a new receiver setup

1 - 3 of 3 Posts