AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've finally made the decision to make my home theater. Almost all the details have been worked out except one; my speakers. I already have 4 speakers (front two, back two) just laying around but they're not a set. They're both Bose but not something that was bought together. My front speakers are old ones from the late 1990s, Bose 4.2 Series ii and Bose 161 rear speakers.

For reference, my room is 8X11X18.

Bose 4.2 Series ll
Direct/Reflecting Speakers
Speaker Type : Main / Stereo Speakers
Construction : 2-Way
Nominal Power : 150 watt
Impedance : 8 ohm
Woofer Size : 8 in.
Tweeter Size : 3 in.
Mid-range: I didn't find any in the specs online

I was about to discard the front until I realized its quality (For an entry system). I thought great, all I have to do is add a center and sub. But that leaves me with a few questions questions. One, does this mean there is an 8" sub in each speaker or only one shared between both of them? Many budget 5.1 systems have an 8" separate subwoofer. Can I leave my system as is or do I need to purchase a new sub for my HT?

Second, I mentioned I need a center as well. I've read you should try to match the center to your left and right speaker's tweeter. So 3" in my case (not a deal breaker). Can anyone recommend some good centers that don't break the bank. I want the sound to be good enough to match my other speakers but not too expensive I wouldn't want to upgrade to a set later. If anyone can help me with any of these question I'd appreciate it a ton.

-Brian

·
Registered
592 Posts
The 8 inch woofer in your speakers is not set up as a sub woofer, but is more of a midrange driver. It probably goes down to 80 hertz, maybe a touch lower, so purchasing a subwoofer for your system will give you bass that your right and left speakers just can't produce.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for both of your responses. I think I'm gonna go with the Polk Audio PSW10. It's a great budget sub. Well at least that's what I've heard.

But I still need a center speaker. I know the basics of timbre matching but not much more than that. People have said try to go with your manufacturer (Bose) and match tweeter size, material, and type to your front speakers. I have attached an image below if anyone can help identify what my tweeter's type and material is so I can get the best timbre match. Or better yet, suggest a specific center altogether. I've heard Bose doesn't create great speakers and if I has hoping if anyone could recommend a better center speaker. If all else fails, I was leaning towards the Bose VCS-10 because at least they'll match my surround speakers (Bose 161).

-Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Thank you for both of your responses. I think I'm gonna go with the Polk Audio PSW10. It's a great budget sub. Well at least that's what I've heard.

-Brian
Actually that's not a good choice for your sub. Especially for home theater. It just doesn't dig low enough. -3db at 40Hz. Not sure what your budget is but if you could pick up the Klipsch Sub12 on sale at amazon for $230 it's far far superior and a steal for $230.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts

But I still need a center speaker. I know the basics of timbre matching but not much more than that. People have said try to go with your manufacturer (Bose) and match tweeter size, material, and type to your front speakers. I have attached an image below if anyone can help identify what my tweeter's type and material is so I can get the best timbre match. Or better yet, suggest a specific center altogether. I've heard Bose doesn't create great speakers and if I has hoping if anyone could recommend a better center speaker. If all else fails, I was leaning towards the Bose VCS-10 because at least they'll match my surround speakers (Bose 161).

-Brian
I would contact Bose and ask there recommendation for a center. Otherwise its just going to be a guess. But its always best to match the center with the same manufacturer & series of speakers. If you have a AVR with room correction, that will help some with the level, but trying to get the timber to match is another story when you start mixing speakers The other option is to just run phantom center (no center).

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
There are bose 4.2s on ebay right now. I would pick up another one if you must keep your current speakers. However, looking at their prices you could probaby replace all 3 fronts with better sounding speakers. Maybe send your bose to rear surround duty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.