AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an elliptical dish with a passive 4x4 multiswitch on it. I want to combine an OTA antenna signal with one of the four satellite cables coming out of the multiswitch (the one going to my HDTV).

- Does the multiswitch need to be powered/active, or can I use the diplexer with my passive switch?

- If I decide that I want to send the antenna signal down all four satellite cables (using a splitter and a couple of double diplexers at the dish and a diplexer at each of my four receivers) does that make a difference in the type of multiswitch that I need?

- Should I get an antenna amp if I send the antenna signal down all four satellite cables? If so, should I put it on the antenna before the splitter or should I use an amp at each receiver?

------------------
-McD-

·
Registered
110 Posts
Channel Master has several multiswitches that have a VHF/UHF port (i.e. a built-in diplexer). Take that route if you want to feed OTA down to all four receivers. If you want just one (to your HDTV receiver), then a regular combining diplexer would work just fine...

Check them out: http://www.channelmaster.com/pages/mul.htm

------------------

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*|>

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*|\\

Â*Â*Â*Â*/|Â*\\

Â*Â*Â*/Â*|__\\

Â*Â*/__|____

Â*Â*\\_ ___ _ \\

Jon Gauthier

"If I'm not sailing I'd rather be watching sailing in HD!" - Me

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
jonlgauthier wrote:

Channel Master has several multiswitches that have a VHF/UHF port (i.e. a built-in diplexer).
That would make more sense than a bunch of diplexers, wouldn't it? I believe I would need a multiswitch with 5 inputs (four from my elliptical dish with dual LNBs and one from the antenna) and at least 4 outputs for my four receivers. The multiswitches on that Channel Master page , as best as I can tell, are all 3 input switches, not 5 inputs. And the only 5 input multiswitches I've ever run across are either 5x6 or 5x8 and I think they were all active/powered, which is fine except I'd rather not have to find a source for the power up on my roof where my dish is.

------------------
-McD-

·
Registered
258 Posts
Dreimiller,

You'll need a pair of dixplexers, one-port power-passing type.

--Reichard

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
 Eagle Aspen 5x4

------------------
ADebars>
Mitsubishi WT-46807 Widescreen HDTVs>
JVC XV-S65 Progressive Scan DVD Players>
General Instruments HDD-200 HDTV Decoders>
Time Warner - Houston HD Services>
My DVDs - DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
It can be purchased here for $80.

or here for $80.

------------------
ADebars>
My DVDs - DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

[This message has been edited by ADebar (edited 09-07-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ADebar (edited 09-07-2001).]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have trouble when I use a Multi switch (Rat Shack) I

lost my HD channels ( 199&509 ) all others are ok, Still

working on this problem.... John

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
If you use a switch that includes a VHF/UHF input, you only need a diplexer on the far (STB) end

UNLESS

you have a Mits/Tosh/Hughes STB, which has the ability to "un" diplex for the sat/OTA input.

If you use R/S diplexers get the $20 ones (better quality).

Tim

·
Registered
136 Posts
Dreimiller,

The Eagle Aspen 4140 is your best bet for multiswitch.

It is powered. If your'e UHF antenna has a power amp hooked up to it, make sure to run the antenna power amp feed to the input of th Eagle Aspen UHF/VHF. Then install a DC pass diplexer before your stb box. By doing this, it will seperate signals to your stb.

Have fun with your project.
http://www.geocities.com/peterd90745/MySatOtapage.html

------------------

PeterDz

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreimiller:

[B...I think they were all active/powered, which is fine except I'd rather not have to find a source for the power up on my roof where my dish is.

[/b]
My experience with powered mutli-switches (e.g. my Dish

SW64), and powered antennas (e.g. my GE Max), is that

the "power inserter" is in your house, not up on the roof.

You plug the power inserter into the AC outlet in your

living room, or bedroom, or entertainment room, etc. One

side of the inserter is for the coax coming down from the

switch or antenna, and that's the side that the power gets

injected into... UP to that device on that side of the

power inserter only.

The other side of the inserter goes to your next connection

such as STB or satellite receiver or diplexer or whatever.

This other side has no power on it.

My arrangement actually has TWO power inserters... one for

thw SW64 and the second for the GE Max.

Before I ran a second dedicated coax down from the GE Max I

was using a diplexer (combining the SW64 output and the GE

Max output).

And I was able to use BOTH power inserters on the diplexed

single coax! I simply placed the GE Max power inserter

after the diplexer, on the antenna split. The Dish split

had its power inserter (for the SW64) in front of the

diplexer. Don't ask me to explain how or why this worked,

but it did.

Now I've got two separate coax feeds down from my roof,

with each coax having its own power inserter as you'd

intuitively expect.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rudolpht:
If you use a switch that includes a VHF/UHF input, you only need a diplexer on the far (STB) end

UNLESS

you have a Mits/Tosh/Hughes STB, which has the ability to "un" diplex for the sat/OTA input.

If you use R/S diplexers get the $20 ones (better quality).

Tim
that is very interesting about the mits being able to "un" diplex a signal. thanks for posting that because I was going to spend money on a diplexer.

------------------
ADebars>
My DVDs - DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Dreimiller,

Here's what I've done. This is exactly what you are asking.

I also have an ecliptical dish, I combined my Channel Master 4221 bowie ant, with power amp and power supply Titan 7775 together to one multiswitch. I replaced my current multiswitch to an Eagle Aspen 4140 5X4 powered multiswitch. Ok here's how I did it. 4 coax cable feed coming from 2lnbs on the satelitte hooked up to the EAGLE ASPEN MULTISWITCH. Multiswitch has to be plugged to electric outlet " you might be able to get power from your attique if you have one" If your'e planning to get a power amp with a power supply-- a very good one is Channel Master titan 7775 "that's if your using a UHF ant". Make sure to install antenna power supply feed to the EAGLE ASPEN UHF/VHF INPUT of the multiswitch. Everything has to be run before the multiswitch. "If you install the ant power supply after the multiswitch it will not work." I'VE TRIED IT. Then multiswitch out feeds 4 coax goes to dc pass diplexors " this will seperate all your signals" from diplexor one coax goes to sat input then the other to dtv antenna. By installing diplexors before the sat boxes, by doing this. Now you can watch Sat and dtv on all your sat boxes. Oh by the way, if you have a long down lead of coax and you want to run the ant dtv on all your boxes it is very helpful to get an antenna power amp. This works wonders.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've been using a Terk amplifier for my UHF antenna, which has an input for a satellite dish. I got an oval DirecTV dish on Saturday, connected it to the amplifier, and found that no pay svcs or HD svcs come in. Also, several channels are mismapped, e.g., Discovery actually shows KABC-LA, and channel 400, Para Todos, displays the DirecTV English language barker channel.

I spoke to a tech person at Sony who told me that you CAN'T amplify a line that's using both an oval dish and an antenna, as the STB needs to send a signal back to the dish to tell it to look at another satellite, and it can't do that when the line is amplified. Assuming this is correct, the previous comment about needing to amplify the line before it hits the dish makes sense. (I haven't yet tried to remove the amplifier from the line. I turned off the power supply in the attic, but that did nothing. I assume I have to remove the entire Terk unit, and just plug the antenna lead in to the satellite dish and then use a diplexer at the STB end?)

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 09-10-2001).]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied.

Quote:
ADebar wrote:

Eagle Aspen 5x4
That looks like it's exactly what I need. Thanks.

A follow-up question: If I use this multiswitch it will diplex the antenna signal on all four outputs to my four satellite receivers. Do I need to have a diplexer on all of them, or can I save money by not bothering to install diplexers on the three receivers that I really don't need the antenna signal on?

Quote:
rudolpht wrote:

...Mits/Tosh/Hughes STB, which has the ability to "un" diplex for the sat/OTA input
I did not know that. I've got a Mits HD-SR5 receiver. Thanks for the info. I guess I should read through my manual one of these days.

Quote:
Peter Diaz wrote:

[iIf your'e planning to get a power amp with a power supply-- a very good one is Channel Master titan 7775 "that's if your using a UHF ant".[/i]
Are you saying that I can't use the Channel Master Titan 7775 if I've got a UHF/VHF combination antenna?

------------------
-McD-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.