AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
You're doing a fine setup an injustice. Find an alternative to Bluetooth. Stream over Wi-Fi with a good service or high quality files from your PC or a thumb drive. Anything but Bluetooth. What your hearing is compression.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
You're doing a fine setup an injustice. Find an alternative to Bluetooth. Stream over Wi-Fi with a good service or high quality files from your PC or a thumb drive. Anything but Bluetooth. What your hearing is compression.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
How do I do this? I have a panny ub420 uhd player and Denon 4400h receiver.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
26,161 Posts
Folks - I have posted before on this topic but I am sorry as my light bulb is not going on. When I look at too many specs I get confused. I have three JBL studio 590 towers as LCR, two JBL studio 580 towers as surrounds and two MLT 2 bookshelves as rear surrounds and a powered subwoofer Klipsch r112sw. My receiver is a Denon 4400h. Can someone help me understand in layman's terms how I determine if I need an external power amp and if I need one in this scenario? The studio 590s are rated nominal impedance 6 ohms and sensitivity 92db and the studio 580s are rated nominal impedance 6 ohms and sensitivity 90db (how are these important in determining if I need an external power amp). I appreciate your patience as you help me figure this out.

Please don't start a separate thread for each question on amps. Please bump your existing thread and post the new question in your original thread.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Please don't start a separate thread for each question on amps. Please bump your existing thread and post the new question in your original thread.
Would you be able to merge? The discussion went off on a tangent.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I read the spec sheet on my JBL studio 590 and it says it can go up to 250 watts and has a nominal impedance of 6 ohms. My Denon receiver outputs 125 watts per channel at 8 ohms. So am I driving the speakers at only half their capacity with the Denon and why is there a mismatch between the ohm rating on receiver and the speaker?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I read the spec sheet on my JBL studio 590 and it says it can go up to 250 watts and has a nominal impedance of 6 ohms. My Denon receiver outputs 125 watts per channel at 8 ohms. So am I driving the speakers at only half their capacity with the Denon and why is there a mismatch between the ohm rating on receiver and the speaker?

Get a sound pressure level meter and take some readings of how loud your system is playing at the listening position. From there, you can figure out roughly how much power you are using. The efficiency ratings of your speakers is a big factor. If they are 92 db efficient that means 1 watt of power will produce 92 db at 1 meter. It will be less loud if you are more than 1 meter away but there are calculators to can use to factor that into the equation. It takes a doubling of power to add 3 db. So 2 watts would give you 95 db, 4 watts 98 db, 9 watts 101 db, etc.

You need to figure out how loud you want to listen and everything else can be figured out from there.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
As an alternative to Bluetooth, I recommend getting a Chromecast and using the Cast feature in music/video apps to the AVR. Keep your music on network attached storage, which could be a dedicated device or your computer.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
As an alternative to Bluetooth, I recommend getting a Chromecast and using the Cast feature in music/video apps to the AVR. Keep your music on network attached storage, which could be a dedicated device or your computer.
I tried a Chromecast link as you said and the experience was underwhelming compared to Bluetooth. The immersion just wasn't there.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
I tried a Chromecast link as you said and the experience was underwhelming compared to Bluetooth. The immersion just wasn't there.
The Chromecast doesn't have a "sound". It just sends the files to your AVR through HDMI. Bonus, it also pulls video from almost any source.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The Chromecast doesn't have a "sound". It just sends the files to your AVR through HDMI. Bonus, it also pulls video from almost any source.
I know but there was a marked difference in sound quality (for the worse) compared to Bluetooth.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Was it the chromecast audio? Generally very good and a lot Better than bluetooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Was it the chromecast audio? Generally very good and a lot Better than bluetooth.

No it was the chromecast video but you can cast audio to it.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
No it was the chromecast video but you can cast audio to it.

That one is very different than the chromecast audio.. if audio only the CCA is very good SQ. Can even use with roon if you have that..

·
Registered
6,639 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Calculation for power amp

Folks - my JBL studio 590s are rated at 6 ohms nominal impedance and 250 watts each. I am assuming I am wired in parallel since all speakers are connected to the receiver. Now the crown amps I am looking at are either 4 ohms or 8 ohms. How do I figure out what type of amp I will need for these speakers? Is there a way to convert 6 ohms to 8 ohms while selecting amplifier?

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Wired in parallel? What do you mean?

Each speaker should be connected to a different pair of output terminals on the AVR. Each output on the Denon has ist own amplifer. They share a single power supply, though, which is why you can't get max power out of all channels simultaneously.

If there's a simple way to accurately estimate the power deivered to a 6 ohm load from the values listed for 4 and 8 ohm loads, I don't know it. You could just average the values. Not especially accuarte, but it ought to be close enough.

Do the Crown amps have a setting for load impedance? If so, most here would recommend using the 8 ohm setting with a 6 ohm speaker.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Wired in parallel? What do you mean?

Each speaker should be connected to a different pair of output terminals on the AVR. Each output on the Denon has ist own amplifer. They share a single power supply, though, which is why you can't get max power out of all channels simultaneously.

If there's a simple way to accurately estimate the power deivered to a 6 ohm load from the values listed for 4 and 8 ohm loads, I don't know it. You could just average the values. Not especially accuarte, but it ought to be close enough.

Do the Crown amps have a setting for load impedance? If so, most here would recommend using the 8 ohm setting with a 6 ohm speaker.
Parallel as in each speaker is connected to the receiver separately. It does have an impedance switch to change between 4 and 8 ohms.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts