AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting some Bx5a's for my computer. I have a presonus firepod http://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-FP10-.../dp/B000W9LV8O

Would I also need an amp? Would that make it sound better at all? I do not have a computer sound card (just on board).

Also during black friday they had the bx5a's in red at musiciansfriend for $150 now they are back to $300. How do the av40's compare to them?

I also had another question...

I have the Yamaha YHT-393BL being delivered tomorrow and I'm using it with my computer/360/ps3 ... I always see people talking about DAC's what exactly is that and would I need one?

thanks

·
Registered
30,788 Posts
1. You do not need an amp as the Bx5a has built-in amps. All you need is to feed them a volume-controlled audio signal.

2. DACs (ditigal-to-analog converters) are built into the Yamaha YHT-393BL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey there!

Actually as Kal Rubinson mentioned, the BX5As are active, meaning that because the amplifier is internal, and was matched for optimum performance of those drivers, there is no need for any amp. There would be no way to add any more power to those speakers because they only have inputs for signal(XLR or TRS most likely) and not for power (bare wire terminals or banana plugs). I hope this helps!

Keep in mind that the engineers who design nice active speakers match the impedance and wattage that the speaker needs with the amp they build into the enclosure (speaker box)...So plug in your Firepod and have fun!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake /forum/post/19573150

I was thinking about getting some Bx5a's for my computer. I have a presonus firepod

Would I also need an amp? Would that make it sound better at all? I do not have a computer sound card (just on board).

thanks

One more thing: the Firepod has outputs, and therefore can act as your Soundcard. Make sure to read the manual before hooking your new speakers up to the outputs on the Firepod, because if the volume of those outputs is controlled from within your computer (either via Windows or via some Presonus software) it can be REALLY LOUD when you first turn the Firepod on and play sound through it. I have seen people damage their speakers this way. Follow the instructions included with your Firepod on how to control the volume settings and you should get awesome results from it!

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you for the help!

Now are the av40's comparable to the bx5a's at all or should I definitely go for the bx5a's?

Also the reason i'm asking about the amp vs the firepod is because I actually have a tube amp I could use with the speakers if it would sound better

also if I plugged headphones into the firepod would that sound good or would it be better to have an amp in that situation?

I'm just obsessing over this and trying to get the best results haha

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake /forum/post/19575702

thank you for the help!

Now are the av40's comparable to the bx5a's at all or should I definitely go for the bx5a's?

Dunno.

Quote:
Also the reason i'm asking about the amp vs the firepod is because I actually have a tube amp I could use with the speakers if it would sound better

Not if they are powered speakers, you can't.

Quote:
also if I plugged headphones into the firepod would that sound good or would it be better to have an amp in that situation?

Depends on the phones.

Quote:
I'm just obsessing over this and trying to get the best results haha

Stop it. None of us ever do that.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha

and the phones I'm using now are my dads old grado sr80's

But probably getting some ad700's soon or something similar..

edit: and then would i be better to go with powered speakers or non powered with the amp? Or no relation?

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake /forum/post/19576165

haha

and the phones I'm using now are my dads old grado sr80's

But probably getting some ad700's soon or something similar..

edit: and then would i be better to go with powered speakers or non powered with the amp? Or no relation?

Too many options. You have to go and listen to them to decide.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19576235

Too many options. You have to go and listen to them to decide.

AGREED and wish everyone thought this way.

Bottom line is: Sound is subjective - listen to the speakers with some music you know well and decide. there is no right or wrong.

People always ask what is the best monitors for listening, mixing music, etc.. and there is no right answer. Its the same as asking what color is the best...depends on what you like, and in the end, my "blue" may be your "purple" (if that makes sense).

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJZero /forum/post/19577050

AGREED and wish everyone thought this way.

Bottom line is: Sound is subjective - listen to the speakers with some music you know well and decide. there is no right or wrong.

People always ask what is the best monitors for listening, mixing music, etc.. and there is no right answer. Its the same as asking what color is the best...depends on what you like, and in the end, my "blue" may be your "purple" (if that makes sense).

Well somethings are obvious as in a $20 pair of headphones will sound worse than a $300 pair of headphones

which is what I was getting at when asking if it was better to have an amp with nonpowered speakers but I guess it is more subjective! haha

·
Registered
4,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake /forum/post/19577113

Well somethings are obvious as in a $20 pair of headphones will sound worse than a $300 pair of headphones

which is what I was getting at when asking if it was better to have an amp with nonpowered speakers but I guess it is more subjective! haha

Are you asking if it is somehow better to have the bottom of the line M-Audio powered "studio monitors" or a pair of Paradigm signature 8s driven by Anthem electronics? No. It's not.

Now, when you get into the real world of trade offs for products that normal folks can buy, whether for the same money powered speaker X is superior to speaker Y plus amp Z will be somewhat down to personal taste. There are potential technical reasons that powered speakers can be better, but that doesn't answer the whole question, does it? (see M Audio vs Paradigm, above).

The way for you to know is to take your budget down to wherever you want to shop - - try a Guitar Center for powered speakers, there are very few in "high end" stores, and they don't tend to occupy the top echelon even in a Best Buy. Listen. See what you like.

Since you're not mixing on them, what you like pretty much controls what you get. (I had to return a set of speakers because they had rear ports and I could not get them far enough away from the walls in my "studio." So the speakers had too much bass in my setup, and even when I thought I had bass drum and bass way too loud, they were wimpy on almost every other system. Disheartening to work on a rough mix for an hour, think you've got something pretty good and have it sound obviously emasculated in your car. But I digress

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.