AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Im wondering if I would benefit from using an amp. I have JBL Northridge speakers, with a Denon AVR-2310CI receiver. I have two E30's up front, two E20's in the rear and a big center...Velodyne DLS-4000R 12" sub. Im wondering if powering the front's with a dedicated amp will make a noticeable difference? I have an amp laying around I can hook up, so I wouldn't be shelling out any extra cash for it. If not, at what point would one need an amp in addition to a receiver? I run pretty much all my audio/video through my PC. Thanks in advance for the knowledge. 

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Im kind of a newbie. I read up a little bit a few years back when I was buying the system...but do speakers have a cap? As in isn't my receiver also an amplifier, so would the speakers be capped as to the amount of amplification power they can receive? Is extra amplification only good for higher volume or would it possibly sound different even at the same volume? They're big bookshelf's btw. I apologize in advance if this sounds stupid, Im just trying to get a grasp of at which point someone needs to add an amp if they're running a decent receiver. Thanks again. 

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Your avr looks to have decent specifications so I wouldn't expect any advantage except for a need for higher spl/volume. If you're getting significant distortion from your amp at your current listening level that's doubtful, but perhaps you could gain from additional amplifier power in terms of additional spl/headroom, but there's not a deep well for your speakers just because the well is deeper if that makes sense to you. Your avr isn't super high powered but should cover your needs to quite a loud level. Using a sub, properly set-up for management, lessens the demands of the amplifier section of your avr (a receiver is traditionally a radio tuner (guess now supplemented by internet/network sources), pre-amplifier and amplifier in one box).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

So if I understand correctly; You should only upgrade to an amp if your speakers are getting distortion or not sounding like they should. Seems like I would only need an amp if I had some awesome B&W towers or something along those lines right? Otherwise my AVR should be able to handle the load.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egurz  /t/1520690/do-i-need-an-amp#post_24432146

So if I understand correctly; You should only upgrade to an amp if your speakers are getting distortion or not sounding like they should. Seems like I would only need an amp if I had some awesome B&W towers or something along those lines right? Otherwise my AVR should be able to handle the load.
Pretty much. The only time an amp will help is if youre running into distortion at very high volume. If thats not the case you dont need one.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1520690/do-i-need-an-amp#post_24431376

Hard to say without knowing what kind of spl levels you're looking for. If you're getting the spl you want now the outboard amp won't bring anything to the table. You can always just connect your amp and see if it makes a difference....
+1

·
Registered
18,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egurz  /t/1520690/do-i-need-an-amp#post_24431498

Im kind of a newbie. I read up a little bit a few years back when I was buying the system...but do speakers have a cap? As in isn't my receiver also an amplifier, so would the speakers be capped as to the amount of amplification power they can receive? Is extra amplification only good for higher volume or would it possibly sound different even at the same volume? They're big bookshelf's btw. I apologize in advance if this sounds stupid, Im just trying to get a grasp of at which point someone needs to add an amp if they're running a decent receiver. Thanks again. 
The amp will not make your speakers sound any better at low volume.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yeah I haven't run into any distortion yet, even when Im watching a movie at higher volume everything sounds pretty good. Well thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated. 

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1520690/do-i-need-an-amp#post_24432292

The great majority of separate amplifiers bought in the home theater world are bought because they are wanted, not because they are needed.

+1

This is strongly supported by the fact that so many of them at best are only clean to SPLs that are barely louder than the AVR's that they allegedly upgrade. By this I mean power amps rated in the 150-200 wpc range. That's only 1-3 dB louder that most AVRs if that, while it takes 10 dB more power to give the perception of "twice as loud".

A goodly number of these amps were sold based on the "All Channels Driven" mythology.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.