AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I bought a pair of RF7ii and a RC64ii and they work in conjuction with RS52 for a 5.1 system. SVS "waterheater" sub is also present

I'm using the Pioneer SC-1522k (9.2ch, 130watts/channel @8ohms, D3 amplifier). The receiver is exact same as Elite SC-65 without Elite branding.

Since these towers and the center are supposed to be extremely efficient I'm guessing I will not need an external amplifier to drive all, however, someone put in my ears that with an amp in addition to a receiver will do magic to these speakers. I'm a complete newbie to external amps so here I am.

Does anyone of you have experience with this combination? What do you think, do I really need to get and amp? Will bi-amping etc from receiver help?

Looking for some guidance so that I don't spend the money I don't have to. But if needed I will...

Thanks a lot in advance!

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayendra  /t/1507965/do-i-need-an-amplifier-for-klipsch-rf7ii-and-rc64ii#post_24123557

Last week I bought a pair of RF7ii and a RC64ii and they work in conjuction with RS52 for a 5.1 system. SVS "waterheater" sub is also present

I'm using the Pioneer SC-1522k (9.2ch, 130watts/channel @8ohms, D3 amplifier). The receiver is exact same as Elite SC-65 without Elite branding.

Since these towers and the center are supposed to be extremely efficient I'm guessing I will not need an external amplifier to drive all, however, someone put in my ears that with an amp in addition to a receiver will do magic to these speakers. I'm a complete newbie to external amps so here I am.

Does anyone of you have experience with this combination? What do you think, do I really need to get and amp? Will bi-amping etc from receiver help?

Looking for some guidance so that I don't spend the money I don't have to. But if needed I will...

Thanks a lot in advance!

Obtain a SPL meter that is fast-responding and has a peak hold feature. The AZ 8928 Decibel Meter (ebay) is one such device that I've used for this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Portable-Handy-Digital-Sound-Noise-Level-Meter-Decibel-Pressure-Logger-/121066991602?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3027aff2

Play your system per your loudest preferences, and note the loudest peak. Convert SPL to watts by using an online dB calculator: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html . Plug information from your system into it and then vary the watts number until you get your actual SPL. Rough, but the best I've figured out so far.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts