AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Gents,

Can you please review my situation & components & help me determine what I need or if I can configure it with what I have?!?

Room:

21 x 14.5 x 10; Dark (no windows or ambient light)

My throw ratio will be 13' and rear seating position around 12-13', front seating position around 9-11'

Video Components: JVC DiLA X700R Projector, 115" x 2:35 Screen Innovations Pure White 1.3 Gain Zero Edge screen, Pioneer Elite SC-05 AVR

First of all, I am NEW to this! I have always been an AV enthusiast, but on the elementary level! So, I recently built a new home with my dedicated theater room and am in the process of wanting excellence and simultaneously creating a money pit! As you can see from above, my products of choice are between modest and expensive. I thought that with this great screen, projector & seating distance that I would be in great hands! However, this was before I read about the necessity for an anamorphic lens!

Considering my CinemaScope screen, dark room, and projector, do I need a lens? I guess I never realized projectors just display 16x9. So, if I were to display my video as is - as the DVD projects it, whether in 2:35, 16x9 or whatever, can I not get it to be displayed to cover my entire screen in great resolution? 

I want the best picture possible, but it just seems that in my situation I wouldn't need to stretch the picture to make it work. Please fill me in!

Thanks,

Frank

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankpd  /t/1524581/do-i-need-an-anamorphic-lens-considering-my-situation#post_24537991

Considering my CinemaScope screen, dark room, and projector, do I need a lens? I guess I never realized projectors just display 16x9. So, if I were to display my video as is - as the DVD projects it, whether in 2:35, 16x9 or whatever, can I not get it to be displayed to cover my entire screen in great resolution? 

You got a long way down the path without knowing some of the fundamentals!

It will work fine - you'll need to set up your JVC's lens memory feature for two settings - 1.85 (normal / HDTV) and 2.35 (scope). You'll then be using the "Zoom Method" for "Constant Image Height" projection. I suggest you read up on those things in the Constant Image Height (CIH) forum here:

http://www.avsforum.com/f/117/2-35-1-constant-image-height-chat

Jeff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts