AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just went to Circuit City today to look at some HDMI cables. Is it necessary to buy $130 HDMI cables when they offer them on the net for $25. The HDMI supports up to 5Gbps and HD is about 2Gbs. I would think the less expensive brand should be sufficient enough. Also, this is for a 37" LCD TV 720p.

Thanks...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't waste your money. BB and CC are ripoffs when it comes to cables. Buy them off the Internet for a fraction of the price. Many, many posters on forums here have reported perfectly good results with the cheap cables.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW, this is cheap.... And you know Circuity City was trying to charge $160 for a pair of HDMI cables...

So, u guys have really good success with these cables...

·
Registered
685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeforb /forum/post/0

WOW, this is cheap.... And you know Circuity City was trying to charge $160 for a pair of HDMI cables...

So, u guys have really good success with these cables...

Yes...the Monoprice HDMI cables are excellent. Do not buy Monster HDMI cables...they are a total ripoff.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:

from monoprice.com, which gauge should I get?

If you are under 15ft, get the smallest gauge (largest number
) because it is the "slinkiest". Up to 30ft get the second smallest gauge.

HDMI plugs are POS and with no fastener designed into them will pull out with "stiff" cables.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, I was thinking of getting the 15 ft. The smallest gauge is 28AWG. That should be good, right?

Well actually, they are out of stock for the 15ft. Can someone recommend another store?

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:

Can someone recommend another store?

Buy a longer Monoprice cable - you won't regret it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just bought 6 foot HDMI cables at at Walmart for $33. For what it's worth by the way, I changed from component cables, and not only did I not notice a difference, but I actually prefer the picture quality with the components, and will be changing back

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just bought them and some component cables at ..
http://www.ehdmi.com/

They are gold plated and had been recommended at another forum.

He is just about out of the 6 ft. HDMI, though.

Notes: Web site was REAL slow this morning, and the 6 ft. HDMI is shown on the side as a special, and also on a page with all the different lengths. Order it from the main page if you are ordering more than one item. There is a glitch that will not put everything together in your checkout if you order- say the HDMI from the sidebar and then components from the main page.

They are GP there too (on the main HDMI page), even though it does not say so (you can still see it in the pix, and I sent an e-mail to make sure).

·
Registered
405 Posts
No one competes with monoprice in my book. I can buy the cable and pay the shipping for less from monoprice than even going to Radio Shack and they are quickest internet supplier I have ever seen. I have yet to wait longer than 3-days for an order. In fact I ordered a couple of HDMI cables from them this Sat and I got them yesterday.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:

HDMI is a digital interface, so the cable will either work or it won't. It doesn't need gold connectors or multi-shielding or any other of the bells and whistles. All it has to do is pass 1's and 0's. Either it gets to the end of the cable or it doesn't...period.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot /forum/post/0

HDMI is a digital interface, so the cable will either work or it won't. It doesn't need gold connectors or multi-shielding or any other of the bells and whistles. All it has to do is pass 1's and 0's. Either it gets to the end of the cable or it doesn't...period.

This is what I figured after reading about HDMI technology. It is uncompressed data that does not need any AtoD (Analog to Digital) or DtoA converters. If this was analog, then it MIGHT be a different story. With analog, just with the AtoD converter, you loose accuracy.

Thanks all for you inputs. I bought two 10ft HDMI and 1 25ft S-Video at monoprice for $23. I feel like going to torment those guys at circuit city today. I just bugs me on how they are so confident that you need to spend $100+ on some monster cables.... I just want to go there and ask them some technical questions just to make them feel stupid....

·
Registered
115 Posts
i was doing some research for some HDMI cables and the question going around is is it worth spending big bucks for a Monster HDMI 1.3 for the PS3 or should i go with a other brand that is almost as good. I hear monster is the best at all cable but the prices are $$$$$$$$. I want my bang for my buck but not some 2 bit piece of equipment. I am probally buy off ebay from the #4 seller on ebay itrimming or someone else that is good.

EDIT: Because og bad grammer ;-)

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
cashman, periods placed strategically at the end of sentences make your posts much more understandable. Maybe you should re-read what you posted, and try to make it make sense.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.