AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting my first HDTV (very soon). I have an old Yamaha 5140 that has an optical port on it. I was told that being that I have a low end receiver, and if need be, would have bought another low end receiver, that I should use the optical ports for sound. Then I should connect the HDMI directly to the TV. Reason being, low end receivers do very little, if anything to the HDMI video signal. So I can save money, and use my old receiver.

Do you agree with those statements?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc571 /forum/post/17039435

Just getting my first HDTV (very soon). I have an old Yamaha 5140 that has an optical port on it. I was told that being that I have a low end receiver, and if need be, would have bought another low end receiver, that I should use the optical ports for sound. Then I should connect the HDMI directly to the TV. Reason being, low end receivers do very little, if anything to the HDMI video signal. So I can save money, and use my old receiver.

Do you agree with those statements?

You certainly can keep your current receiver, and maybe you should as long as it works.

Budget receivers do support connecting up an HDMI cable to them to handle both audio and video. Audio playback and audio/video switching to be specific.

It's not uncommon now for even budget models to support lossless HDMI audio either by decoding it, or by supporting multi-channel PCM over HDMI.

The importance of lossless audio can be debated though. Some claim benefits are small ( which is my own belief.)

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I could see minor differences between HDMI and component video. When I paused a screen, some of the artifacts were less noticable with component video.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx. So my plan is to get an optical cable from Monoprice. Connect my XBOX360 and SAT audio to my Yamaha HTR 5140, using optical cables. Then connect HDMI directly to my TV from those components.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.