AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask because my cousin who is a big audio/videophile told me that because in my new viewing area, which will have me only 7-8" from the screen, HDTV wouldn't be neccessary, that being that close won't really make a difference. He told me I should stick with my 27" Sony Trinitron.(which does have an awesome picture) Any thoughts on this? Is he crazy?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
HDTV isn't necessary, but you should be able to see a difference with the increased resolution. Go to the store and check out HDTV that is showing a good HD source from 7-8' (I'm guessing you meant feet, not inches) and see what you think. You may be surprised.

·
Registered
538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP666 /forum/post/0

I ask because my cousin who is a big audio/videophile told me that because in my new viewing area, which will have me only 7-8" from the screen, HDTV wouldn't be neccessary, that being that close won't really make a difference. He told me I should stick with my 27" Sony Trinitron.(which does have an awesome picture) Any thoughts on this? Is he crazy?

42" widecreen should be the bare minimum that is tolerable these days.

In 2002, it seemed so much bigger....

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
hp, i'm sure your sony 27 inch has a fine picutre for SD.

no hdtv is not needed it is your choice to upgrade your own a/v system.

with a decent hdtv display and HD programming source (sat/cable/ota/hd player) you should see a significant difference in 720p/1080i/1080p HD programming and SD which is 480i.

sounds like he is crazy and misinformed.

·
Registered
545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP666 /forum/post/0

You're cousin is speaking from his rear-facing orifice. At 7-8' (I'm assuming you meant ' and not "
), you will very clearly be able to discern the difference between 720p and 1080i vs. 480i on any screen larger than 40". Not only that, but it will fill a considerably larger portion of your field of vision (aka viewing angle) than a 27" TV, which creates a much more immersive experience.

You do not need to stress about this. You have a credit card and a Best Buy nearby? Go buy an HDTV -- any HDTV -- then take it home and spend a week with it. If you like the experience, you know you want HDTV. If not, then you know you don't. But either way, take the TV back -- then set out to find something that suits your needs, meets your expectations, and is within your budget.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.