AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the Plasma, HDTV, home theater, game and all that comes along with it. One of those things is HDMI cables. I am looking at these two cables:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

My components will be:

-Panasonic TH-C50FD18 (Costco cousin of TH-50PZ85U)

-Onkyo Receiver (plans to upgrade to SR606)

-Comcast HD-DVR

-PS3 (Future addition, is PS3 as good as stand alone Blu-ray player)

-Macbook Laptop for use with Front Row for Video_TS Digital DVD library & iTunes (future addition, dedicated Mac Mini HTPC).

1. What is the best way to connect these components? Connect all components into receiver via HDMI then HDMI out of receiver to TV. Or plug all HDMI directly to TV then use the optical audio out to receiver as recommended by Panasonic manual.

2. Do I even need high speed or 24awg for runs under 6ft? Or for non-1080p components?

thanks in advance

p.s. So far this site has been awesome at helping me pick my plasma tv, breaking it in, and soon enough (after I hit the 100 hr break in) calibrating/adjusting settings.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Question: What is Category 2

Answer: Recently, HDMI Licensing, LLC announced that cables would be tested as Standard or High-Speed cables.

Standard (or “category 1”) cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 75Mhz, which is the equivalent of a 1080i signal.

High-Speed (or “category 2”) cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 340Mhz, which is the highest bandwidth currently available over an HDMI cable and can successfully handle 1080p signals including those at increased color depths and/or increased refresh rates. High-Speed cables are also able to accommodate higher resolution displays, such as WQXGA cinema monitors (resolution of 2560 x 1600).

It is possible for a cable to pass a 1080p signal and 1.3 extended bandwidth signal without being Category 2. These cables would have bandwidth that are beyond category 1 but below category 2. Most of our non-category 2 cables perform in this range.

Directly from Monoprice's website

You could get by with any one more than likely but considering the price is within like 50 cents of each other you might as well get the category 2 ones.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Am I correct in saying there is no definitive test to know if your HDMI cable is limiting you or not. I mean, say for example you have a source that requires highspeed bandwith, it isn't like you would not get an image. So the only real way to know if your cable is limiting your viewing is by subjective judgment, right?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
great thanks for the info. Looks like I will only get one of the highspeed cables for the PS3/blu-ray and then cheaper for the rest. Now before I order, should I connect to receiver then HDMI out to tv or go all into tv the optical audio to receiver as panasonic recommends? That way I will now if I need a bunch of 6ft HDMI or mostly 1-2ft cables for components to receiver.

thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdog81 /forum/post/15433639

great thanks for the info. Looks like I will only get one of the highspeed cables for the PS3/blu-ray and then cheaper for the rest. Now before I order, should I connect to receiver then HDMI out to tv or go all into tv the optical audio to receiver as panasonic recommends? That way I will now if I need a bunch of 6ft HDMI or mostly 1-2ft cables for components to receiver.

thanks

You can get shorter (2ft.) HDMI cables at Monoprice.com for a decent price.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Depends on how good your receiver is and if it does passthrough in stand by mode. I run all my HDMI to the receiver and only a single HDMI out to my tv. This is a simple clean run and I just switch sources on my Yamaha 3900 with a single button press. It has basically eliminated the need for getting something like a Harmony remote since it is so simple and flawless. One last thing, I swear these cables seem shorter than the distance sounds. This is from absolute end of tip to end up tip. If you have a large tv I would think the absolute minumum would be a 3 foot one for you. My Kuro sits on a stand directly on top of my wooden component housing with my center channel and receiver right underneath it. I need a 6 foot cable just to go directly up from the receiver to the tv. The 3 isn't even enough. Something to think about.

·
Registered
870 Posts
mono price sells the high speed cable for 4 bucks at 3 feet....like you can save money on the slower one?

HDMI has to pass the test to be rated high speed. I'd rather have a fast 4 dollar monoprice than a $$$ive monster cable rated at the old slower amount.

·
Registered
489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWDinc /forum/post/15419820

you need to read this entire article. it will all make sense then.

http://www.audioholics.com/education...le-bench-tests

This is the best article I've ever read on the HDMI cable issue!

If you want a short version of the article - almost any cable will work if you are using a short cable (6 feet - 2 meters) with any currently available source material and HDTV.

Over much longer lengths and if you want a cable that can handle new standards that are not currently in use - then you should be a bit more selective in your choice.

While this article may be a bit technical for some -- it is the only one I'm aware of that tests a number of cables against current standards and then tests them again over longer lengths and finally tests them again imagining future demands.

Thank you BWDinc for posting it

Daarrid

·
Registered
64 Posts
just curious if anyone knows if the silver plated hdmi cables from monoprice would outperform their standard high speed hdmi cable vs a cheap hdmi cable from amazon? has anything changed over the past couple years since this thread started or are all hdmi cables under 6 ft equal in terms of performance?

monoprice silver plated:

monoprice high speed:

amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Cable-2M-...pr_product_top

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.