AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I will soon have a new Sony KDL-52?5100, so I want to check with the experts (you guys) about how to connect it.

My mix was:

1. Sony KF-50WE610 (Component connections only)

2. Cox HD DVR connected via Component cable

3. Playstaion2

4. Sony STR-D590 don't be jealous

5. Technics SB-CR55 10" floor speakers

6. PC connected via GeForce 7950 on Component cable

Now that I will get to step up to HDMI, I was looking at my options.

1. TV will be KDL-52?5100

2. Cox HD DVR connected via HDMI

3. Playstaion2

4. Sony STR-D590 don't be jealous
- Should this be upgraded to a new AVR or HTIB? How would I benefit?

5. Technics SB-CR55 10" floor speakers

6. PC connected via GeForce 7950 on ?? cable
I can connect this PC via a Component cable, or a DVI - HDMI cable.

Or would it look better through my newer PC that has HDMI onboard video?

Can I even hook this TV to my old receiver via composite sound?

How would I benefit from having a AV Receiver connected via HDMI?

Other items to throw into the mix (this may just complicate things)
Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 Computer Speaker - currently hooked up to the PC that has HDMI.

Has 2 3.5mm connectors.

Set of Advent outdoor speakers - not in use

Both of these could be audio zones with the right connections on a Multizone AVR.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Well, you didn't provide us much in the way of links, and I doubt anyone is going to take the time to Google and dig up manuals for all this gear, so I'll just give you some general guidelines.

With this ancient Sony receiver, your best - perhaps only - option is to send all video signals to inputs on the TV, and all audio signals to inputs on the receiver.

For the video signals, use the ones that are common to both the TV and the external component you want to connect. HDMI is generally preferable, since it's a simple, one-cable connection. When the TV runs out of HDMI connections, component video is the next-best option.

The Sony receiver has four audio inputs, which should be enough for the equipment you listed. You'll just have to keep in mind that CD (or whatever) is Playstation, etc., just as with the TV you'll have to keep in mind that Video 3 (or whatever) is Playstation.
Quote:
Should this [receiver] be upgraded to a new AVR or HTIB? How would I benefit?
An AVR, not a HTIB. The benefit would be you could connect all the gear to the AVR, and a one-button command from the remote would get you both picture and audio. As it is now, you have to select audio (from the receiver) and video (from the TV) separately. Not to mention, cabling for everything would be simplified.
Quote:
Can I even hook this TV to my old receiver via composite sound?
There's no reason to. You're getting TV audio from the cable box.
Quote:
Computer Speaker - currently hooked up to the PC that has HDMI.

Has 2 3.5mm connectors.
It's problematic using computer speakers with an AVR. They are self-powered speakers and would need a volume-controlled line-level output from the AVR. Yours doesn't have one.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts