AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there:

Having recently upgraded from "low-fi" to "mid-fi," I suspect I may have "overpurchased." I have initially purchased both the Marantz SA8260 (for redbook CD and Multi-channel SACD use) and the DV9600 (for DVD use only).

After getting to use these fine devices (the 8260 sounds really nice, especially compared to my old equipment), I am starting to understand their feature-set vis-a-vis what is on the market. I am a bit concerned that I might have done a better job getting just the universal player and a DAC.

Basically, my audio needs are:

1) Quality redbook playback

2) SACD, stereo and multi-channel

3) DVD Audio

The DV9600 is a nice DVD player, and while I plan to upgrade to a BluRay player at some point, I will still need some DVD-A capability, so I expect to need this unit for a while. The 8260 meanwhile has better redbook quality. So it seems to me that I will need to hold on to both the 8260 and the 9600, right?

Maybe not.

It seems to me that had I purchased the DV9600 ONLY, and a good quality DAC (like the Bel Canto DAC2 or the Benchmark DAC1), I would be able to use the DV9600 as a true universal audio disc player. This would have been nice, as it would save space in my rack and make my setup easier to use for my family.

Am I correct in my understanding that a DV9600, in conjunction with a good DAC along the lines of the two mentioned, is capable of providing redbook performance that is as good or better than that of the 8260?

What about multichannel and Stereo SACD? These would be output from the DV9600 via iLink directly to the receiver, whereas currently they are "decoded" by the 8260 to analog output. Would the performance of SACD suffer? Or would the fact that the stream remains digital from player to receiver mean that quality would be "on-par?"

I am in a position to return the 8260 should I decide to do so in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks for your opinions..

·
Registered
317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedingInfo /forum/post/14270002

Hi there:

Having recently upgraded from "low-fi" to "mid-fi," I suspect I may have "overpurchased." I have initially purchased both the Marantz SA8260 (for redbook CD and Multi-channel SACD use) and the DV9600 (for DVD use only).

After getting to use these fine devices (the 8260 sounds really nice, especially compared to my old equipment), I am starting to understand their feature-set vis-a-vis what is on the market. I am a bit concerned that I might have done a better job getting just the universal player and a DAC.

Basically, my audio needs are:

1) Quality redbook playback

2) SACD, stereo and multi-channel

3) DVD Audio

The DV9600 is a nice DVD player, and while I plan to upgrade to a BluRay player at some point, I will still need some DVD-A capability, so I expect to need this unit for a while. The 8260 meanwhile has better redbook quality. So it seems to me that I will need to hold on to both the 8260 and the 9600, right?

Maybe not.

It seems to me that had I purchased the DV9600 ONLY, and a good quality DAC (like the Bel Canto DAC2 or the Benchmark DAC1), I would be able to use the DV9600 as a true universal audio disc player. This would have been nice, as it would save space in my rack and make my setup easier to use for my family.

Am I correct in my understanding that a DV9600, in conjunction with a good DAC along the lines of the two mentioned, is capable of providing redbook performance that is as good or better than that of the 8260?

What about multichannel and Stereo SACD? These would be output from the DV9600 via iLink directly to the receiver, whereas currently they are "decoded" by the 8260 to analog output. Would the performance of SACD suffer? Or would the fact that the stream remains digital from player to receiver mean that quality would be "on-par?"

I am in a position to return the 8260 should I decide to do so in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks for your opinions..

I would think that the DV9600 is on par with the 8260. They both are audiophile quality players. Both have great reviews from the experts but the 9600 is a later model. And the 8260 did have some problems with being fussy about which disc it wanted to play.

I would keep the 9600 if I where you. I have the 6001 which is a very good player...so Im sure the 9600 is even better. Do you think you will be able to hear the difference between the analog or digital SACD? I've never heard DSD so I can't tell you.

frenchmon

1 - 2 of 2 Posts