AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just gotten a Vizio 42" HD Flat Panel TV which has several HDMI cable inputs (4, I think) and which is my first HD Television. Both of my DVD Recorders have HDMI outputs which will each connect to the TV though the TV HDMI inputs.

The recorders are not currently connected to the Comcast box except when I need to record encrypted Comcast channels (otherwise recording is done via the QAM tuners built into the recorders). Video input to the recorders is done via RF coax connectors, connected either directly to the cable line input or to the cable set top box output.

My Comcast cable box (Motorola DCT2224) has only an RF Coax input and output and RCA jack composite video out. It has no component video out.

My question is, what do I need to do to start receiving HD programs? It seems to me that for starters, I need a different box from Comcast, one that will provide an HDMI output and will connect to the HDMI TV input when watching HD programs.

Also, I presume that I will not be able to record any programs in HD on either my Magnavox H2160MW9A or Panasonic DMR-ES45V DVD recorders and that their only HD capability is in playing DVDs that are pre-recorded in HD (the only recorder I can find which will currently record programs in HD seems to be the Hauppage 1212 PVR). Do I have this correct?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Update - I just was able to talk to Comcast and I do indeed need a new box for HDTV. And of course....there's an extra fee ($7.95 per month).

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
If your Vizio has a QAM tuner, you may be able to get some HD channels (typically your HD locals) by connecting the cable line directly to your TV and doing a scan.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Congrats you now have a tv capable of displaying high def. What many average users dont know is that the show being watched also needs to be displayed in high def. As mentioned above, there are tuners available that will allow you to access any public free channels that air HD shows.

As to the cable box, yes you would need to update your box and mostly likely also your cable package. Of course Comcast charges a bit extra for the HD package but it will provide you access to all of there HD channels and they should update your box at the same time to give you one that comes with an HDMI & Component inputs/outputs.

For the best HD quality available you may also want to get a blu-ray player and try some blu-ray movies out on your new TV. Blu-ray will provide even better quality then whats compressed and aired on broadcasting.

Lastly I recommend getting your new display calibrated. TVs come preset for display in showrooms which isnt necessarily to display the best possible picture, only be brighter then the tvs next to it. Having it calibrated will definitely improve the image and give you the best picture available for your set. I would wait until you have your high def sources set up first, this way they can specifically calibrate it for your new HD components.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts
For just local HD, the Vizio has a QAM tuner which will receive all the local HD that Comcast carries in your area.

For all other HD, you need an HD STB. Consider the HD DVR that Comcast offers, as no DVD recorders are HD capable.

There are also two HD DVR's you can buy at retail, the TiVo HD & Moxi. See the HDTV Recorders Forum for details.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts