AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As long as I've been into HT, I am a relative noob when it comes to HTPC, so please forgive my question. I have read the FAQs and done the searches and almost everyone says to use Powerstrip to display and play games on your HDTV using its' RGB/VGA input.

However, I noticed that my new ATI Radeon 8500/64 supports 1920x1080 and I'm also guessing that I can set the refresh rate as well. Will I be able to simply use the ATI drivers for display on my HDTV(Pioneer 64HD5 RPTV), or should I just spend the $30 and get Powerstrip and why?

Thank you very much for your help!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think that just because your video card supports custom resolutions doesn't give you a way to create them. If you want to use a resolution that isn't one of the standard computer 4x3 resolutions incorporated into your OS/monitor drivers, you'll need Powerstrip to create the resolution you want to send to your display. I don't think ATi includes a comparable function within it's drivers. The 8500 has been discussed to death on this forum, so you may find more information searching that card on the forum.

I think you can still try an evaluation version of Powerstrip for free. The evaluation version has a popup window on startup that you can disable when you register the software, but other than that it's fully functional. So try out the software, and then register it if you find it the best (or only) way to go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.