AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm living in an apartment and from the looks of it, there is not line of site to the 101 Satellite, but I should be able to get 110 and 119. Will directv still work if the dish can't see the 101 Satellite? I'm asking b/c I just want HDNet on 119.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
It should still work, but it will be harder to line up the satellites. The bulk of

the channels are on the 101. Also to get HDnet I think you have to have at

least the Total Choice Package. You will be paying for a lot of channels

without getting them. Although Showtime is at the 110 position.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do I still need to point to 101 for program guide or authorization every now and then? Or is just pointing to 110 or 119 good enough? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
101 is how D* sets messages to your set like guide updates, messages, software upgrades, etc..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So is 101 required? Or is it just very useful? I plan to get guide info from my Tivo. And I can care less about messages and software upgrades. I just need it to work.

Basically, I talked to a technician and he told me that without line of sight to 101, it is impossible for me to get any directv at all. How true is that?

I keep hearing that some people only have one round dish pointing at 119 and it works but I do not know if they periodically point that to 101 for stuff.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Unless something has recently changed, all the DirecTv HD receivers that use the Advanced Program Guide did need to see 101 to be able to download the guide correctly (and/or without issues every few days) and thus make the channels even show up in the guide (to then make them "tuneable").

The only one I remember that works well in the "119 only" scenario is the DTC-100 because it doesnt use the APG concept.

Back when HDNet first debuted and guys were trying what you propose (since maybe they already had Dish Network for everything else and tapped into the 119 lnb from that for just HDNet off 119 from DirecTv) they found it to be a hassle if they werent using the DTC-100.

I myself noticed the issues with my Mitsu SR-HD5 D* HD receiver but I also had a seperate dish pointed at 101 for the NFL package but nothing more (using a cheap non HD receiver) from D* so all I had to do was combine the 101 and 119 feeds via a simple switch to get 101 to the new HD receiver.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, as long as I get a receiver that doesn't have APG, I can get a "119 only" or a "110 and 119 only" scenario working. Doesn't the receiver have to see that 101 satellite in order to do authorization or can the 110 and 119 satellite also do authorization? Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
As far as I know, yeah because it's worked for other guys who never saw 101. When you call for authorization they'll ask you if you can see like channel 100 or something which is a barker channel on 101 but the reason they ask you that is more to know that you're satellite is aimed correctly and such. If you try to explain what you're actually wanting to do you'll just confuse them. When they ask if you get channel so and so you just need to say...yes.

As a previous poster said, one of the hangups is trying to get HDNet at a reasonable fee to begin with since their latest policy is to make you have to sub to Total Choice as a base package. Well obviously you dont want to spend 32.00 per month for that since you wont even be able to see basically any of those channels since they come off of 101. Unless money is no object. ;) Thats a good little chunk of change for the one HD channel and a few token SD channels.

12 or 15 months ago when HDNet started you could still get HBO ala carte so for like the 12.00 per month you got HBO HD (which was on 119 at the time but is at 101 now) and HDNet.

Like I say there was alot of discussion about this issue a year or so ago but not lately. So all of this info is based on what was happening then but means theres no guarantees about what might work today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.