AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new TV. My 32" tube blew out after 13 years. It had a comcast DTA box attached. New TV is a LG 32LH20.

I disconnected my DTA box. Hooked the cable line to the TV & scanned for channels. It picked up 214 DTV channels & 24/CATV channels. And seems to display them all.

However it seems to be a strange grouping thing going on. Like it displays channels after 27 then sub channels, or 28 & then more sub channels, & goes up in number. Each set 28-29-30 etc gives me different sub channels. However they are not in channel order as with my DTA box.

IDK what is going on. Can someone enlighten me? Please?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy02cls /forum/post/18306568

I just bought a new TV. My 32" tube blew out after 13 years. It had a comcast DTA box attached. New TV is a LG 32LH20.

I disconnected my DTA box. Hooked the cable line to the TV & scanned for channels. It picked up 214 DTV channels & 24/CATV channels. And seems to display them all.

However it seems to be a strange grouping thing going on. Like it displays channels after 27 then sub channels, or 28 & then more sub channels, & goes up in number. Each set 28-29-30 etc gives me different sub channels. However they are not in channel order as with my DTA box.

Thanks

Comcast converter boxes and DTAs "map" cable services to various "locations" according to Comcast's own numbering scheme. That scheme may have little or nothing to do with the QAM channel numbers.

Clear QAM tuners in TVs or DVD recorders show clear QAM channel numbers, all of which have a decimal point or dash indicating the digital sub-channel number, such as 28.1, 28.2, 28.66, etc. Channels with whole numbers, such as 28 (with no decimal point or dash) are probably analog channels. Some devices mix analog and digital channels in the same tuning group--this usually slows down "channel surfing." Some devices have separate analog and digital tuning groups selected by the remote's DTV/TV button (in Funai products).

In recent months Comcast has been in the process of implementing a "Network Enhancement" in many areas. What that actually means is "scrambling" for most of the clear QAM sub-channels. Once that "Network Enhancement" comes to your area you will need a DTA or converter box to "unscramble" most digital services. There are a few "must carry" local channels, public access, government, shopping, and a few other services that may continue to be shown "in the clear" (unscrambled). In my area the "in the clear" services are found between "channels" 2 and 31. Most of the rest are scrambled. Clear QAM tuners in TVs and DVD Recorders can not "unscramble" scrambled services.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy02cls /forum/post/18306568

Thanks

Ditch the DTA and use the LG's internal QAM tuner as you discovered...DTA is for SD TV's....if you want the channels in order than rent a digital box from Comcast....another option assuming LG has a favorite button is to program your favorite channels into the button and you will have some order

Hope this helps

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I see. I had to Google QAM tuner. I didn't know what that was.

From what I read it's normal then, That's cool I get HD channels & music channels I don't get with the DTA box.

I did see a few that said scrambled. But not many. I guess I'll keep it this way till comcast in my area switches them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts