AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,


I have the Exposure 2010S2 integrated amplifier running a Dali ikon 6 speakers, my question is adding Exposuer Poweramp or any other Poweramp will do any good?


Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,401 Posts
A lot of people in this forum will say no. I say give it a try and listen. Some people mix it up and try tube amps on the top (tweets and mids) and the Exposure amp on the bottom (woofers). Some add a more powerful amp to the bottom. Most just use the matching 2010S power amp.


Have you considered using the Exposure pre outs to feed a powered sub? I gained an octave of low frequency extension and increased SPL using my 2010S integrated this way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 /forum/post/0


A lot of people in this forum will say no. I say give it a try and listen. Some people mix it up and try tube amps on the top (tweets and mids) and the Exposure amp on the bottom (woofers). Some add a more powerful amp to the bottom. Most just use the matching 2010S power amp.


Have you considered using the Exposure pre outs to feed a powered sub? I gained an octave of low frequency extension and increased SPL using my 2010S integrated this way.

May I ask what sub you using and how you wired the sub to the exposure?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,401 Posts
I have the infamous, but fully functioning MFW-15. It is fed by the integrated amp's left and right RCA jacks via RCA interconnects into the sub amp's left and right jacks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzT1 /forum/post/19555853


Hi to all,


I have the Exposure 2010S2 integrated amplifier running a Dali ikon 6 speakers, my question is adding Exposuer Poweramp or any other Poweramp will do any good?


Regards

You have a 200W/ch/4 Ω driving a roughly 4.5 Ω of ~89dB/W/m (
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 /forum/post/0


I have the infamous, but fully functioning MFW-15. It is fed by the integrated amp's left and right RCA jacks via RCA interconnects into the sub amp's left and right jacks.

Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 /forum/post/19560863


Actually, the amp is around 100 wpc @ 4 ohms, which granted, the speakers will only be a few decibels down from 200 wpc. As the Exposure's pre is passive, the dynamics can seem a bit restricted if the source isn't up to driving the amp directly. Adding another amp can be of use, especially if the OP just needs a few more db.


For instance, my Marantz uni player drives the amp very well, my older Yamaha tuner needs quite a bit more throw on the volume knob and still never reaches the levels I would sometimes like. You will want to pay attention to gain structure, BuzzT1.

I typo'd when I googled and used the Stereopile 3012 review by mistake for the numbers. However, just using it as a passive pre driving another power amp seems like an expensive way to get a pot and input selection.


Sensitivity is specified as 250mV though so even old -10 output devices should be able to drive it to clipping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 /forum/post/19560995


However, just using it as a passive pre driving another power amp seems like an expensive way to get a pot and input selection.

One of my recommendations was to horizontal bi amp, as is commonly done with the Exposure amps. I believe that is what the OP's question was about, I don't think he is considering eschewing the internal amp, and I am not suggesting he should.


My primary recommendation is to consider adding a sub or more. I would let the Dali's remain full range and allow the sub(s) to roll in where the mains leave off.

Quote:
Sensitivity is specified as 250mV though so even old -10 output devices should be able to drive it to clipping.

Correct, the amp is very sensitive, even more so than it's predecessors. Still, I am unable to hit the volumes I would like with my tuner, even at full signal strength. Not all stations do this, so maybe I shouldn't blame the tuner's output.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67
One of my recommendations was to horizontal bi amp, as is commonly done with the Exposure amps. I believe that is what the OP's question was about, I don't think he is considering eschewing the internal amp, and I am not suggesting he should.


My primary recommendation is to consider adding a sub or more. I would let the Dali's remain full range and allow the sub(s) to roll in where the mains leave off.


Correct, the amp is very sensitive, even more so than it's predecessors. Still, I am unable to hit the volumes I would like with my tuner, even at full signal strength. Not all stations do this, so maybe I shouldn't blame the tuner's output.
Thank you guys,


I think to borrow a sub and see how good is the sound, any recommended sub by you guys?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 /forum/post/19561245


One of my recommendations was to horizontal bi amp, as is commonly done with the Exposure amps. I believe that is what the OP's question was about, I don't think he is considering eschewing the internal amp, and I am not suggesting he should.


My primary recommendation is to consider adding a sub or more. I would let the Dali's remain full range and allow the sub(s) to roll in where the mains leave off.

But that's not going to change the performance of the existing amp/speaker combo by adding another amp and sub in parallel. The existing 'main' system is still running the same frequency range so improvements in headroom, compression, non linearity etc that adding an active xover and relieving the LF duties from the mains would bring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzT1 /forum/post/19564759


Thank you guys,


I think to borrow a sub and see how good is the sound, any recommended sub by you guys?

The SVS PB13 gets good respect from the DIY crowd who are really the cutting edge in sub design. I'd look at that first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 /forum/post/19566828


But that's not going to change the performance of the existing amp/speaker combo by adding another amp and sub in parallel. The existing 'main' system is still running the same frequency range so improvements in headroom, compression, non linearity etc that adding an active xover and relieving the LF duties from the mains would bring.

Adding a sub to fill in the bottom octave will add performance, and a XO for the mains is not needed at all. In fact, it is an added cost that can veil the sound. This is why most 2 channel folks chose to run the mains full range. Not a popular view in this particular forum, but doing otherwise will compromise the transparency of the Exposure amp.


The Dali's are not straining from the LF duties, just allow the sub to roll in where the Dali's roll off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzT1 /forum/post/19564759


Thank you guys,


I think to borrow a sub and see how good is the sound, any recommended sub by you guys?

A few of the current price leaders/performers are Internet Direct manufacturers:


-CHT 18.2 or 18.T Duo

-eD A7s 450

-Epik Empire

-Hsu VTF 15H

-Rythmik Audio


The SVS is a great sub as well. DIY subs are another worthy option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzT1 /forum/post/0


Hi to all,


I have the Exposure 2010S2 integrated amplifier running a Dali ikon 6 speakers, my question is adding Exposuer Poweramp or any other Poweramp will do any good?


Regards

Many thanx to all you guys are true audiophiles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
@BuzzT1


Quote:

"I have the Exposure 2010S2 integrated amplifier running a Dali ikon 6 speakers, my question is adding Exposuer Poweramp or any other Poweramp will do any good?"


May I ask why you wish to add a poweramp? I would like to buy Dali Ikon 6 and Exposure 2010s, so may I ask, is there something missing in this configuration? Is it ok? Would another amp have done a better job?


Thank you.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top