AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my situation.

I have a bunch of MKV files that I would like to view on my TV (Panny S2 Plasma). The files are currently stored on my external HD on our home PC, or on one of its internal HDs

I've tried converting and playing through my Xbox360 and I'm just not happy with the quality and the time required to convert the files to a format that it will play. I've tried PS3 Media Server with no luck (I guess my network isn't fast enough??, I've tried numerous settings and options and still get jerky playback or broken audio)

The way I see it I have a few options:

1. Build inexpensive HTPC (hopefully in the $200 range. Already have an Asus a8n-sli motherboard that can be used, just need to know what chip to buy)

2. Buy a media streaming device (WD, Segate Theater, etc). My concern with these is their ability to stream the MKV smoothly

3. Buy a Blu-ray burner for my home PC and burn them to play on my Samsung BD Player (I'd rather just deal with files instead of discs, for cost reasons as well as not wanting to deal with the storing issues of burned discs)

Other things to note:

Would also be interested in streaming HD from Hulu and Netflix (though I know I can't do that via PC on Netflix right now...or so I've read)

Size of device doesn't matter, it could be a tower case or a small set-top-box of some kind...either is fine. I do have a small tower case that can be used if I go the HTPC route

Everything would be over a wired network connection, NOT wireless.

All would be run through a Denon AVR-790 Receiver via HDMI

·
Registered
315 Posts
 Popcorn Hour devices have always interested me. I've always gone the HTPC route, but one day I want to get a standalone like that and give it a go. Does everything you want within your price range.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Xbox/PS3 should be fine. I'd make sure your network is healthy and the server isn't doing too many other things.

If you do decide to go the HTPC route, Netflix is offering some HD on PC now, although the quality is not up to PS3/Xbox or dedicated Netflix boxes (e.g. Roku).

I'd stick any old CPU in it and an HD5450 video card to handle decoding.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/19588107

Xbox/PS3 should be fine. I'd make sure your network is healthy and the server isn't doing too many other things.

If you do decide to go the HTPC route, Netflix is offering some HD on PC now, although the quality is not up to PS3/Xbox or dedicated Netflix boxes (e.g. Roku).

I'd stick any old CPU in it and an HD5450 video card to handle decoding.

What about conversion for the xbox? It will try to play the M2TS file but fail a few minutes in (loses video but not audio).

I've tried converting in SUPER but the quality sucks (admittedly I may not be using the right settings) and again, I hate the conversion time

1 - 4 of 4 Posts