AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinkin about building a shuttle g4 pentium based mini box. I plan to hook this up to my receiver though the built in spdif optical connector on the case. I know the system uses a realtek audio card but would the sound quality matter if I am using th optical connector, or will I have to buy a better sound card?

·
Registered
222 Posts
You didn't say which Shuttle system you are looking at but only an nForce Soundstorm setup will send ALL audio in DD. But from what you wrote, DVDs played will send DD or DTS to your receiver. Games however will only send stereo. But depending on your receiver, it may well create a "sound field" from the stereo using Dolby Pro Logic II or CSS or Neo.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

P.S. I have no Shuttle hands on experience, but have been investigating SPDIF output for the last several weeks for a micro ATX system I will be building.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
aafflyer -- you seem rather informed on this topic, perhaps you could share some additional info with us. There's another thread where the guy is trying to get his SPDIF on his AIW to work via the ATI card's output -- not that I unserstand why, myself -- when you can use a single TOSlink to pass all audio to your A/V receiver.

But can you? I've the ATI AIW 9000 Pro, ABIT KD7-RAID, WinXP, and the RealTEK AC97 driver to my 8235 chipset... I have a single TOSlink from the mobo and the ATI uses the 'Cyberlink Audio Renderer (ATI)' to pass the audio to the mobo -- or does it? I get DVD audio, but only with the SPDIF unmuted. BUT, the only way I can hear from the ATI's TV is to MUTE the SPDIF... go figure! It's like there's some 'stray' signal, or conflicting drivers, causing the TV's audio to be analog only UNTIL I Mute the SPDIF!

I'm confused on this and you seem to know more than I -- can you help me and others on YOUR understanding about this?

Thanks

Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.