AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the blue CRT out of my Barco 1208/S (9000897). It is stamped on the CRT housing with "07MP". According to http://www.projectorspecs.com/barcospecs.html , the 1208/S uses a "07MFP2" tube. The "07MP" is a 7" tube used in the BG800, BD800 and BG801. According to this spreadsheet at Barco: http://www.barco.com/projection_syst...y/graphics.xls , the "07MFP2" is a 7+/8" tube used in all BG808/S (9000901, 9000902, 9000907, 9000908) and 2 itterations of the 1208/S (9000892, 9000897).

So naturally my question is do I need to replace my blue CRT with a 07MP or an 07MFP2?

This has all been very confusing merely because of the "07MP" stamp on my existing blue CRT!

Thanks in advance for the help!

John

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have a Sony 1272. It uses 07MP tubes. I bought a tube from a guy with a Barco projector.

It worked fine, but it had a different HV lead on it. The wire was longer and the little metal clip on the end was different...

Maybe that is the reason for the different part number? Someone like Curt would know for sure.

Sean

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by goofygrin
Maybe that is the reason for the different part number? Someone like Curt would know for sure.

Yeah...I have been enough of a pain in Curt's @55 over the last couple days (via e-mail). I figured I put a few more brains to work ;)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hello John

You need to order the 07MFP2 from Barco the 07MP is a short version and it's not possible to get al the part's on the tube neck

Rob

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. Thanks a lot guys! Now it is just a matter of finding a used one. I really dread forking out $1800 for a new one!

One more question Rob. Are the lenses (HD8-B) on the 1208/S "color corrected"? If so, I assume this means that I must mount the lenses in the correct position (R, G, B).

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I've never seen a color corrected HD8 lens, and blues are never color corrected anyway. You should verify the tube you took out by matching it against one that is known to be an 07MP because if thats what came out, its a LOT cheaper tube to purchase.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My problem is that I find it hard to believe that a 1208S (9000897) will accept 07MP tubes. They were never manufactured using those. That is why the stamp on the housing really has me confused!

John

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The 07MP tube has a much shorter neck, since the fact that it doesn't allow the electromagnetic focus. It is an electrostatic focus tube, that just allows the G3 - Anode electrostatic field focus drive.

The 07MFP2 has the same frontal section and the same general shape, but the neck is some 2-1/2 inches bigger, since the fact that in the other case it would have been impossible to allow the electrons to completely curl (inside the magnetic field) before to be redirected toward the frontal surface...

The black coil mounted between the CPC magnets and the deflection coil is the electromagnetic focus coil... using the 07MP you will never be able to mount it, and the pj will never work!!!

ciao

Romano

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
If you physically compare the tube that came out to one known to be an 07MP then you will know for sure what came out. If it is in fact an O7MP that came out, maybe you would be wise to investigate the origins of the projector further. I agree with your statement that the 1208 line never used the 07MP tube, so if yours has an 07MP tube in it, maybe its been modified ? You can't know how worried to be unless you can determine whether the label is correct or not.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for the info guys. Unfortunately I do not have an 07MP tube to compare it to. Roughtly, how much shorter is teh 07MP compared to the 07MFP2...1", 2", 5"???

I will say this. I cannot imagine trying to fit a longer tube in this unit. I had one hell of time trying to get this one back in. This makes me think that it is an 07MFP2.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
The Sony 07MSP which is used in the Sony 12XX and the Barco 800 is 13 inches long, if that helps you.

Deron

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Sony 1272 and 1252 use 07MSP, which is different than the 07MP, which is different than the 07MFP2. According to Barco, the BG800 and the BG801 use the 07MP. The Sony 1251, 1270 and 1271 also use the 07MP.

If anyone has a dismantled BG800, BG801, 1251, 1271 or 1270 lying around, would you be so kind as to post the length of one of your tubes (no sex jokes please ;) )

At this point, I am feeling pretty confident that I need to buy the 07MFP2. I have already contacted Barco and they want $1400 for a new blue tube. BUT...I may have found a used one that has very slight wear. Just waiting to hear back from the individual.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
As I said before, you need a 07MFP2 tube (the 1208 is the best 8 inches ever built by Barco, and obviously it is equipped with the electromagnetic focus!)

In any case, 1400$ for a 07MFP2 is not a very high price. Those tubes were sold for about 2400$, until last year...

ciao

Romano

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys! I feel more confident that I am going to buy the right tube. $1400 was a bit much to invest just to find out I got the wrong one!

Anyways, I am still waiting to hear back from one persone regarding a used tube they have. I must admit, the picture on the 1208S is outstanding (even witha totally toasted blue tube...text burn and all).

Not to knock my previous Sony 1272Q, but the convergence of the 1208S was an absolute dream! Also, I must give props to my Iris 800. While I understand that it is basically useless in the hands of a qualified technician, it made the convergence a breeze for a newbie like me. It easily knocked 85% off of the time I would have taken to manually converge my PJ. Once it did it's job, I just needed to make some final adjustments (mostly on the edges).

Now I have an almost perfect picture (at least to my eye). I can't imagine how much better it will be with a good blue tube.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I could not have made it this far without this awesome forum!

John

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
We are dealing with USED projectors here, and while I agree with EVERYONE that the correct tube for John is an 07MFP2, that is only the case, if his projector IS a 1208/2. It could be POSSIBLE that somewhere in the past, the case got changed with a model that uses the tube that seemed to come out, an O7MP . I'm not suggesting it as a serious alternative, but IF the tube that came out IS INDEED an 07MP, then there has to be some explanation for it ?

It will likely be, that the tube was misidentified by the sticker for some reason, but if it were my projector, I'd still like to KNOW what tube came out!

People do all kinds of strange things, for all kinds of reasons, it wouldn't shock me to find something like this had happened at some point. I have a buddy who bought a 1251 that came in a 1272 case. It was sold as a 1252, but if you didn't know how to tell the difference, you'd think it was a 1272.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That stupid stamp on the CRT housing is the only reason I am concerned. What makes me more concerned is that it is actually stamped into the housing itself...it is not a sticker. Conversely, it is my understanding that only 1208 and 1209 series PJs cam in a footprint that big. I can't imagine someone retro-fitting a BG800 into a 1208/1209 case. Also, the way the current fits in, I cannot image fitting a larger tube. When I pulled teh blue tube and tried to get it back in, I had a hell of a time...it was that snug.

If someone were to fit a 07MP tube into a 1208S, would they not also have to replace the electronics (or are they the same)? Just seems like a lot of effort for no reason.

My best bet may be to pull the blue tube again and take a ride to the Barco dealer and have them take a look at it. Problem is that they will not have a 07MFP2 there...they need to get it from teh warehouse and I assume they will not do that until I am ready to buy.

One other point that I can add is that when I opened the PJ for teh first time, it looked like I was teh first person who had ever done maintenance on it. The inside was pristine! Not a single blemish on the aluminum that normally occurs when sliding tubes in and out (at least when I do it ;) ).

John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.