AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My subwoofer has a power (on/off) switch and also a remote control on/off. Each time I done using my HT setup, do I need to completly urn off my subwoofer? Like push "off" on the remote control, then go behind it and switch to power switch to "off" as well, or do I only need to push "off" on the remote control and that is good enough?

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Pressing the remote's off button will probably put the sub into standby mode like most subs with an auto on feature. If you are very green and want to conserve maximum power, turn it off with the switch. If you are a power glutton like most of us, don't bother.

What sub do you have?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/14273759

Pressing the remote's off button will probably put the sub into standby mode like most subs with an auto on feature. If you are very green and want to conserve maximum power, turn it off with the switch. If you are a power glutton like most of us, don't bother.

Yeah it's standby, I am not really concerned about the power comsuption, but more about the general "health" of my subwoofer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/14273759

What sub do you have?

This one: http://www.teufel.de/de/THXsysteme/M...THX-Select.cfm

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Knight /forum/post/14273813

Yeah it's standby, I am not really concerned about the power consumption, but more about the general "health" of my subwoofer.

I have had mine on standby, using auto on, for a couple years and see no problems. I just uses a little power, but isn't generating heat, so the amp is not working much, just the power supply.

Thanks, that helped.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Well we have had those incidents where a few on the site lost subs to lighting storms I’m all most willing to bet 1p they had it turned ON.

It’s up to you if you what to leave it ON all the time, or maybe you’re just too idle and lazy to bend down to turning it OFF.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Knight /forum/post/14273813

Yeah it's standby, I am not really concerned about the power comsuption, but more about the general "health" of my subwoofer.

There is no real need to reach behind it for the master ON/OFF switch unless you just want to do that when it is absolutely not in use; every evening, for example. That will shut it down completely. But unless you are concerned about the power consumption (which would be a reasonable concern in this day and age) or some sort of damage from, for example, lightning or a power surge (rare), then you can turn it completely off every evening. If you had a switched outlet nearby that is not in use, it would be very simple to do with just a flick of the switch.

But most people do not switch their subwoofer's master power switch on and off. Many of us don't even use our sub's Auto-On feature (which is sort of analogous to your remote's on/off capability) and simply leave it ON 24/7.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/14273860

Thanks, that helped.

You read German?

·
Registered
73 Posts
When I was wiring the HT I ran three circuits

1. video circuit

2. Audio circuit

3. The "always on" circuit

1 and 2 go to 20 amp light switches. Everytime we leave the ht those two switches get turned off. No more lighntning worries! And, no wasted power either.

The always on circuit is for the Dish DVR and the clock and anything else that needs constant power like xbox charger....

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread... Quick question:

I have my KEF subwoofer setup to turn on/off with an automatic sensing switch (so it's a "hard" power on or off). I actually prefer this over the AUTO switch, since I noticed that it takes a certain volume to trigger the switch.

Question... Which of the following options is the best for the life of my subwoofer:

1 Always On

2 Auto On

3 On / Off via power sensing switch

4 Doesn't matter

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts