AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, Title says it all. Just wondering if I need to pay that monthly fee to Schlage LiNK just to be able to control the Trane Remote Energy Management Thermostat with my iPhone??


If I do, Is there another system that will allow me to use the Trane Remote Energy Management Thermostat with my iPhone without paying any monthly fee??


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
I think you have to go with the Mi Casa Verde Vera 2 controller for remote or local access, or a z-wave stick and software like Z-wave commander http://forums.controlthink.com/t/1669.aspx

but I think z-wave commander only allows control within your home and not remotely.


The Vera 2 offers web access for free but that depends on the company staying in business. The Vera 2 runs $238 on Amazon and on their site.
http://micasaverde.com/vera.php


I have the Trane thermostat with z-wave and was considering the Vera 2 but haven't gotten it yet.


Write-up
http://www.myhomeserver.com/?page_id=554
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCzar /forum/post/20810733


I think you have to go with the Mi Casa Verde Vera 2 controller for remote or local access, or a z-wave stick and software like Z-wave commander http://forums.controlthink.com/t/1669.aspx

but I think z-wave commander only allows control within your home and not remotely.


The Vera 2 offers web access for free but that depends on the company staying in business. The Vera 2 runs $238 on Amazon and on their site.
http://micasaverde.com/vera.php


I have the Trane thermostat with z-wave and was considering the Vera 2 but haven't gotten it yet.


Write-up
http://www.myhomeserver.com/?page_id=554

Thanks for the advise, Reason why I think I want to go with Schlage LiNK is that I have no patience to deal with Vera2 if something happens or I need support. From what I been reading they have very crappy support service whereas Schlage will let you talk to a human being if you need help. It's worth the money to me to save alot of frustration down the road.


My only concern now is if I can swap my old thermostat with the Trane thermostat that works with the Schlage link system. I don't see the "C" common wire on my old thermostat wiring, Just the White, Yellow, Green & Red wires as shown in the picture. I have never changed one out so now I need to find out before I buy all the hardware.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
The 12.99 monthly charge from Schlage seems like rip off and I'm not a fan of having to maintain a subscription. I've read that the MiCasaVerde's forums are a good source of support.


Radioshack was clearing out the SchlageLink Kits with the deadbolt (I think for $40-50) and the Trane Thermostat for $49 earlier this year when I bought my thermostat.


The Trane is also programmable without using z-wave. Not sure about your wiring setup. The installation guide is at the link below:

http://www.trane.com/residential/dow...structions.pdf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights /forum/post/20818701


Thanks for the advise, Reason why I think I want to go with Schlage LiNK is that I have no patience to deal with Vera2 if something happens or I need support. From what I been reading they have very crappy support service whereas Schlage will let you talk to a human being if you need help. It's worth the money to me to save alot of frustration down the road.


My only concern now is if I can swap my old thermostat with the Trane thermostat that works with the Schlage link system. I don't see the "C" common wire on my old thermostat wiring, Just the White, Yellow, Green & Red wires as shown in the picture. I have never changed one out so now I need to find out before I buy all the hardware.

You might get lucky and find that you actually have a 5 wire lead at the t-stat. Just unscrew the original t-stat from the wall and look behind it for the

5th wire. It's common to wrap the unused wire around the rest for a spare.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel /forum/post/20820995


You might get lucky and find that you actually have a 5 wire lead at the t-stat. Just unscrew the original t-stat from the wall and look behind it for the

5th wire. It's common to wrap the unused wire around the rest for a spare.

Well I just opened it and I see a Blue wire wrapped around behind it, Is this the "C" Common wire??


I also see there's a box that the thermostat is attached too, The Trane thermostat is mounted sideways compared to my old one. What's the workaround to mount it on this box?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights /forum/post/20821561


Well I just opened it and I see a Blue wire wrapped around behind it, Is this the "C" Common wire??


I also see there's a box that the thermostat is attached too, The Trane thermostat is mounted sideways compared to my old one. What's the workaround to mount it on this box?

It's a spare so it's whatever you want it to be. I assume you want it to power the t-stat rather then batteries. Right now it probably is not connected to anything on the other end also but you should double check before you go any further.


As far as mounting the new one over the old hole, does it cover the hole?

If so, it's mounting screw holes are probably on the sides. and designed to be fastened with shields and screws directly into the drywall. That's up to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights /forum/post/20821561


Well I just opened it and I see a Blue wire wrapped around behind it, Is this the "C" Common wire??


I also see there's a box that the thermostat is attached too, The Trane thermostat is mounted sideways compared to my old one. What's the workaround to mount it on this box?

I think Schlage Link has dropped the monthly fee to $8.99 or $99 per year, but Vera will give you connectivity without any recurring fee.


The C Wire is described as being blue here:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9132906AA0LrDa


As @stefuel mentioned you'll want to verify what it connects to back at the FAU (heater) before connecting it at the thermostat. It should be the 24VDC common used to power the thermostat itself.


There are alternatives if you can't get the C-Wire working properly, they sell a device to make 4-wires work as 5 (but already have 5). OR you can just power the thermostat by using a 24VDC transformer with the wire run down the wall to pop out near an outlet to plug in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgDseEF-4OY Check out the rest of the youtube videos on the subjest and you should be able to figure it out.


To cover the hole, I'd consider getting a 2-Gang blank plate or other plastic plate to go between the thermostat and the wall to cover any exposed holes. You can probably mud right over it using some mesh tape and leaving a hole for the wires too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights
Well I just opened it and I see a Blue wire wrapped around behind it, Is this the "C" Common wire??


I also see there's a box that the thermostat is attached too, The Trane thermostat is mounted sideways compared to my old one. What's the workaround to mount it on this box?
Yes, use this wire. Make sure it has juice by testing it with a multimeter. If I recall correctly, it should be 24volts if you connect the blue and red to the multimeter. If not, you'd have to go to the other end to the control box of the furnace and/or a/c and connect the blue wire to a 24 volt source.


Save yourself the monthly fees and go with the micasaverde. It works great with my android. I'll have to test it with my daughter's ipod touch to see if it works.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top