AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if I need to sound proof my basement? The whole house is made from 8"-10" reinforced concrete, that is for the all the floors, walls and cellings. Do I need sound proof the basement when there is 8" of solid concrete between it and the living room? I am going treat the room acoustically, but I was not planning on sound proofing except the door.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Hard to tell based on the information given. Sound flanks, so you also need to look at your floor, ceiling and adjacent walls.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/16986513

Hard to tell based on the information given. Sound flanks, so you also need to look at your floor, ceiling and adjacent walls.

Basement walls are surrounded by dirt, the celling of the basement is exposed concrete. The floor in the living room has 1" think Russian pine flooring with a 1" gap between the flooring and the concrete.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It depends on how important it is to not hear anything in the rest of the house. But you do have a lot of mass already. Sound proof the door and crank up a subwoofer and see what you can hear in the living room.

Also, sound proofing is as much keeping extraneous sound out of the theater as it is keeping it in. How quite is the room now?

Are you going to finish the walls and ceiling or leave them bare concrete?

·
Registered
485 Posts
How is your floor separated from the concrete? While concrete has lots of mass, it will also transfer impact sound very easily (like footsteps, chairs moving etc). If you flooring is truly decoupled from the concrete subfloor you should be good there.

Are the walls of the proposed HT space also concrete? If not you might want to think about some decoupling there. The door will be your weakest link. A solid core exterior door would probably be your best bet, and you might want to think about adding even more mass to it, or having communicating doors (two doors like an air lock).

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
What is your actual goal? Lower noise floor in the theater area, or reduced theater noise escaping into the rest of the house? I know some people that refer to reducing rattles and vibrations as soundproofing, so if you give us what you want to acheive, we can provide better advice.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Also, have someone walk around and move furniture around in the living room and see if you hear it down below.

CJ

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/16988560

Nothing beats a real world test. Drag your sub-woofers in there and crank them up. Then you will know how much effort you want to put toward sound containment.

This is great advice. I just don't know why I haven't tested this myself. I am putting my HT in an existing room and we decided not to do any soundproofing (walls, ceiling is finished and painted for HT). The kid sleeps 2 floors up and well just decided it wasn't worth it.

Now testing it with a sub before the stuff I am building next week goes up is just such a simple idea. Thanks!

I know I will hear the upstairs, but we only watch movies at night so it will be a non-issue for me (not sure about the OP)

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
That's always a great idea if you can get some equipment set up. You may find you need no soundproofing at all...

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whumpf /forum/post/16987280

It depends on how important it is to not hear anything in the rest of the house. But you do have a lot of mass already. Sound proof the door and crank up a subwoofer and see what you can hear in the living room.

Also, sound proofing is as much keeping extraneous sound out of the theater as it is keeping it in. How quite is the room now?

Are you going to finish the walls and ceiling or leave them bare concrete?

No I was not planing on finnishing the walls at the present time. I was going treat the room acousticly in key points for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBM99 /forum/post/16987391

How is your floor separated from the concrete? While concrete has lots of mass, it will also transfer impact sound very easily (like footsteps, chairs moving etc). If you flooring is truly decoupled from the concrete subfloor you should be good there.

Are the walls of the proposed HT space also concrete? If not you might want to think about some decoupling there. The door will be your weakest link. A solid core exterior door would probably be your best bet, and you might want to think about adding even more mass to it, or having communicating doors (two doors like an air lock).

It is properly decoupled from the concrete to reduce footstep noise ect. (But the basement was not originally built for a home theater.) I was going to install a sound proof door. (Those things are expensive, $4,000 for one door)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren_G /forum/post/16987795

What is your actual goal? Lower noise floor in the theater area, or reduced theater noise escaping into the rest of the house? I know some people that refer to reducing rattles and vibrations as soundproofing, so if you give us what you want to acheive, we can provide better advice.

There is vertually no noise getting in from the outside, I just have one vent in there with a circulation fan, but I am taking care of that, so I can keep go air curculation but keep noise out.

My goal is to not allow any noise to travel through the rest of the house or living room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/16988560

Nothing beats a real world test. Drag your sub-woofers in there and crank them up. Then you will know how much effort you want to put toward sound containment.

Don't have anything that I could drag down there and test out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO /forum/post/16988915

Also, have someone walk around and move furniture around in the living room and see if you hear it down below.

CJ

That is no problem, no noise there.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBM99 /forum/post/16987391

The door will be your weakest link. A solid core exterior door would probably be your best bet, and you might want to think about adding even more mass to it, or having communicating doors (two doors like an air lock).

Yup. My (exterior solid core-1¾") entry door is my weak link. Should have went w/ double door "airlock-type" entry. I guess I could always add a second door as the threshold is 7" wide. Leave an 1" air gap between the two sets of doors.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine /forum/post/16995679

Yup. My (exterior solid core-1¾") entry door is my weak link. Should have went w/ double door "airlock-type" entry. I guess I could always add a second door as the threshold is 7" wide. Leave an 1" air gap between the two sets of doors.

I think I am going to do this, as I do have a perfect area where the door is to get this done. Thanks for the advise guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.