AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the designing/construction phase of my dedicated ht and I'm shopping around for my sound stage. I have most equipment but seem to not be able to lock down what I want up front. Little bit about my space/equipment...

14x25x7

Planning diy AT 150" screen with false wall

Epson 8350 pj

Onkyo 818

Emotiva XPA-3

2 SVS PB-2000 subs

4 Polk Audio TSi100 bookshelf (surrounds) but these could be changed

This room will solely be for movies on Blu-ray. I've gotten mixed theories/suggestions on which way to go. I want as close to a cinema sound that I can get but don't want to spend over $1,200 for front 3 speakers.

If I went with non towers would I use 3 bookshelves or 2 bookshelves with a matching center but placed vertically? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
28,893 Posts
A couple of theories here.

1. If you've got room for 3 vertical speakers, go for the 3 towers.

2. You do have two very good subwoofers so you don't need towers to produce the low end frquencies. So 3 bookshelf speakers on stands should suffice. But if the cost of bookshelf speaker plus stand is equivalent to the tower speaker, might as well get the tower.

Since you're getting an acoustically transparent screen there really is no need for a horizontal center speaker in my opinion. 3 of the exact same speaker would be optimal.

This tower speaker won in a recent speaker shootout. Perhaps it may interest you.
http://chanemusiccinema.com/A5rx-c

Actually Arx5 was the speaker in the shootout. Apparently the 5-c is a new model coming out this spring. According to the review in the link below the new AR3x-c would be great for home theater use and would save you some money.
http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/forum/showthread.php?47651-A3rx-c-Initial-impressions

http://chanemusiccinema.com/chane-arx-loudspeakers/A3rx-c

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been looking at the Arx line and will most likely end up with their A2rx speaker. I will be building a place for the speakers into my false wall so I won't need to purchase stands. I've always been partial to towers but I don't know if they'll be vital for a powerful sound.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

You don't need towers, BUT since you have an AT screen you definitely want 3 identical vertically oriented speakers. You could also look at EMP Tek E55Ti towers or 7 Hsu HB1-MK2 Horn Bookshelf speakers for all the way around the room. Klipsch are good for HT kinda have the IN YOUR FACE sound. BIC/Acoustech is a cheaper version of a horn tweeter speaker. The Chane ARX 5C looks interesting.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru  /t/1522556/do-i-need-towers#post_24483196

You don't need towers, BUT since you have an AT screen you definitely want 3 identical vertically oriented speakers. You could also look at EMP Tek E55Ti towers or 7 Hsu HB1-MK2 Horn Bookshelf speakers for all the way around the room. Klipsch are good for HT kinda have the IN YOUR FACE sound. BIC/Acoustech is a cheaper version of a horn tweeter speaker. The Chane ARX 5C looks interesting.

I've spent lots of time on the emp site looking at those towers, they look great but I still don't know if I'd benefit from having them over a decent bookshelf. The HSU speakers look to be nice too. Darin at HTD said an ideal scenario would be to have 7 full range towers but due to lack of funds that won't happen ha.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
There is no set answer. Pros and cons for each. I own towers, standmounts, and bookshelfs. it depends on usage, room size, desired output (towers are generally more efficient, and with multiple woofer have higher max dB, like for like)

For more affordable speakers, I'd choose standmounts. But if you have a larger budget towers are a consideration. If you like main speakers playing lower for music, towers are desireable. Ie crossovers 40-60hz. For $1200 for all three I'd get standmounts.

I'm using $1500 standmounts, and the floorstander version is $2300. That's the sort of budget you're looking at quality floorstander speakers.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1522556/do-i-need-towers#post_24483414

There is no set answer. Pros and cons for each. I own towers, standmounts, and bookshelfs. it depends on usage, room size, desired output (towers are generally more efficient, and with multiple woofer have higher max dB, like for like)

For more affordable speakers, I'd choose standmounts. But if you have a larger budget towers are a consideration. If you like main speakers playing lower for music, towers are desireable. Ie crossovers 40-60hz. For $1200 for all three I'd get standmounts.

I'm using $1500 standmounts, and the floorstander version is $2300. That's the sort of budget you're looking at quality floorstander speakers.

I don't necessarily need or want ear splitting volumes but I'd like to have a full sound. I guess it'll come down to trial and error but I just thought I'd throw this out there and see what people say. I appreciate all responses so far.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks  /t/1522556/do-i-need-towers#post_24483505

I don't necessarily need or want ear splitting volumes but I'd like to have a full sound. I guess it'll come down to trial and error but I just thought I'd throw this out there and see what people say. I appreciate all responses so far.
This is a bookshelf/sub system. All that differs from those in a home is the scale:

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
$1200 is only £720.

You can get quite reasonable floorstanders and center for that. But you'll get higher quality bookshelfs.

Also consider second hand, got $1500 pair of speakers for $240 - mint mint condition.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Have a MUCH higher end system than I could possibly if I bought them new. In fact, with the saving of one av pre-amp (several thousand dollars) that went into paying the most of the HT!

AV pre-amps (2) £6500 saving

Dolby Digital decoders £1400 saving

Stereo integrated amps £400 saving

Stereo analogue pre-amps

Stereo power amplifiers £1500

Subwoofers £300 saving

Center speaker £300 saving

Standmount speakers £800 saving

Side and surround speakers

Media streamers

Speaker stands. £200 saving

What would you rather have, a $1500 pair of standmounts that cost me $240..or spending $1500 on a pair of new standmounts?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Point taken, I guess going "used" isn't really my style. I haven't ever liked secondhand things unless I have to. I don't mind refurbished items but buying from someone I don't know would bother me.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks  /t/1522556/do-i-need-towers#post_24483891

Point taken, I guess going "used" isn't really my style. I haven't ever liked secondhand things unless I have to. I don't mind refurbished items but buying from someone I don't know would bother me.

Well, what size room??? How far from the front wall to the seating area? Some bookshelves can play very loud with little distortion...example,Revel M106...read the reviews. My room is appx 14'x20' with the front spkrs on the long wall, and sofa on the back wall. I was saving for the Revel M106, but decided on two tower Boston Acoustics M350's (get good reviews) and with a little help from here, purchased timber matched bookshelves of the same brand...the Boston Acoustic M25, to use as center and multiple surrounds. Price was the deciding factor for me on this. I'm not pitching BA for you because I don't have enough info on your room. They work for me, and it is an affordable way for me to add multiple spkrs in my room.

·
Registered
19,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypucks  /t/1522556/do-i-need-towers#post_24482903

I'm in the designing/construction phase of my dedicated ht and I'm shopping around for my sound stage. I have most equipment but seem to not be able to lock down what I want up front.

I don't necessarily need or want ear splitting volumes but I'd like to have a full sound. .

So, you are still spinning around in a circle?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1520775/l-c-r-upgrade-1-000-budget-advice

A real good deal and front ported - look at 3 each for the front stage
http://shop.mbquart.com/p/as-s1cpb-single?pp=24

·
Registered
2,558 Posts

Since you're doing DIY screen, you're not completely adverse to DIY.

Why not  http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion-series-kits.html like the Fusion 12 Tempest?

Most of the consumer speakers cater to most consumers subscription to the fallacy that for music and theater listening that have to have speakers that extend to low frequencies. 

As you know most here use subwoofers. The extension of the LCRs to e.g. 35hz is not only wasted, but it comes at the expense of sensitivity. 

The higher the percentage of your speaker's power handling capability you send in watts, the more it will distort and sound harsh. 

I wanted to play movies at at least -10dBFS so I bought the Fusion Max kits, and I couldn't be more happy. Many people with experience in very expensive speakers are buying/building these because they're so easy someone very unskilled like myself can Assemble It Yourself (AIY). 

In this league (but without the benefits of the SEOS horn) are JTR speakers costing 2x, nicer JBL, Pi Speakers (as assembled or as kits), and the Klipsch THX line. 

My theater has the dynamics of the better commercial theaters, and it's best for my audience members (not just the sweet spot), startling in sudden dynamics, and I could go well over reference level if I choose to with a 100 wpc receiver.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I mentioned my room size in my initial post but not much else since I haven't yet laid it all out.  I'll have about 15' from the screen to the seating area. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77  /t/1522556/do-i-need-towers#post_24484230

Well, what size room??? How far from the front wall to the seating area? Some bookshelves can play very loud with little distortion...example,Revel M106...read the reviews. My room is appx 14'x20' with the front spkrs on the long wall, and sofa on the back wall. I was saving for the Revel M106, but decided on two tower Boston Acoustics M350's (get good reviews) and with a little help from here, purchased timber matched bookshelves of the same brand...the Boston Acoustic M25, to use as center and multiple surrounds. Price was the deciding factor for me on this. I'm not pitching BA for you because I don't have enough info on your room. They work for me, and it is an affordable way for me to add multiple spkrs in my room.
~~I mentioned my room size in my initial post but not much else since I haven't yet laid it all out. I'll have about 15' from the screen to the seating area.  I've never used anything other than Polk so I suppose that's why I keep searching around and asking peeps advice ha.  I'll check out those Revels but I may end up finding something cheaper.  I auditioned some B&W towers today and I loved em but not sure I want to spend $1500 for the front 3. 

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1522556/do-i-need-towers#post_24484348

So, you are still spinning around in a circle?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1520775/l-c-r-upgrade-1-000-budget-advice

A real good deal and front ported - look at 3 each for the front stage
http://shop.mbquart.com/p/as-s1cpb-single?pp=24
Ha, circle is a very good description.  I think I just need to take a break from it all and come back to it fresh in a few days.  I've looked at so many speakers and specs but it's tough to really HEAR anything.  Kinda funny I spent more on my subs than I'm looking to spend on the front 3 but I feel good bass is vital for a nice theater.  I've been sent links to mbquart a few times and they're on the list but I don't like paying much for shipping. 

1 - 20 of 26 Posts