AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
My experience with WinDVD was that it SUCKS. It would not output SPDIF via my onboard sound, no matter what. Also, there was NO support whatsoever from WinDVD. Also, it was supposed to have gamma control and it didn't. WinDVD sucks. I use the Zoom player setup with no problems.

·
Registered
262 Posts
WinDVD video + ffdshow is fabulous, at least on par with Sonic + ffdshow. You'll need the absolute latest WinDVD video filters for proper ffdshow compatibility, though. There are recent threads about this so dig around.

With ZoomPlayer you can mix and match filters, so for example if you have problems with the WinDVD audio filter like gn2 did, you have many alternatives (Cyberlink, Sonic, NVDVD, the free AC3Filter, etc.).

If you get the Sonic XP decoder package, you won't necessarily be missing anything, only the option to use the WinDVD filters. I'd recommend getting both so you can tweak to you heart's content. ;)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought the Intervideo DVDXpack included the filters. That's why I was asking. But if it doesn't include filters then I guess its mute point, as that's what I'm after.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Whoops, I think you were talking about the Sonic Cinemaster decoder pack; I'm not familiar with the 'DVDXpack'. The web page for it says, "Installs the same theater-quality video and audio decoders proven by over 14 million users of WinDVD", so it must include the filters I assume.

·
Registered
723 Posts
It seems this question needs further pursuit. I for one would be interested in a WinDVD codec pack purchase only.

Does the DVDxpack actually use the same WinDVD Platinum codecs? Why is it for XP only? Finally, will the xpack work with ZP?

Blight could probably help on some of this. Who's going to spend their lunch money on this and give us the scoop? Surely someone, somewhere has already given it a go anyway. Let's here about it.

Regards,

DFA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.