AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I`m debating do I really need HDMI 1.4 I was in the process of getting an onkyo TX-NR1008 but the deal fell thru some I`m thinking of getting and older model Onkyo that has been refurbished like the TX-NR 1007 or the 3008 model what do you think ?? I have a PS3 and a Vizio 1080 P

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
HDMI 1.4 is the first HDMI version which ensures you can pass all 3D video signals through your receiver.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Panasonic and samsung 3D Blu ray players have duel Hdmi's. 1.3 for audio into your AVR and Video 1.4 3D for your TV. They also have 7.1 analogue outputs for older AVR's. A cheaper way to go being there will be multiple upgrades to this format.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I recently chose the Yamaha RX-V667 (over the prior year RX-V765) because the x67 series has HDMI 1.4 . . . not because I wanted 3D processing, but because [the current version of] HDMI 1.4 [supposedly] also supports playback/switching for HDTV2 (3840x2160) [ like this Samsung 70" prototype ], although still only at 30p (and not 60p.) Switching between 'dual HDMI out' equipped players and/or internet connected devices in order to playback ['future'] 3840x2160 source material will likely become tedious/complicated after one has more than (say) two HDTV2 resolution sources, and so I opted early for an all-in-one switching solution . . . with a view to maximizing the length of time before I need to replace this year's AVR purchase.

·
Registered
444 Posts
My point of view is that things change so quickly, get what you need now. It's likely that HDMI 1.5 will appear, and so on. If you aren't planning on going 3D now, then you don't really gain anything.

What was interesting this time around was how HDMI 1.4 was implemented. Previousy we've seen the trickle-down effect, so the highest end equipment will get the newest features, and then those features will trickle down.

With HDMI 1.4, it seems like everyone just moved to it this year, across their entire lines, meaning mass-discounting on the previous year's stuff.

I'd suggest paying for the features you're going to use now. Don't worry about future proofing, it's easier to spend a bit less on a closeout model now, and when you need the new features, buy a new receiver. Chances are that technology would have changed by then anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts