AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am quite smitten with the Onkyo 906. I think it sounds awesome. I also think that the feature set is a great bang for the buck. But do I really need that much? I have a samsung DLP 72" TV which does all my video switching and a Samsung P-2500 Blu-Ray player which upscales just fine it seems. I also have an Xbox 360. The majority of my television / audio time is for movies. I like the idea of the 140 watt amp built into the 906. Can I just get cheaper receiver though that handles the sound processing I need and get a separate 7 channel amp for more longer term? Thoughts? Ideas? I am ready to pull the trigger on a purchase and just don't know what way to go. My Harmon Kardon AVR 520 just bit the dust.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klebel /forum/post/15458293

I am quite smitten with the Onkyo 906. I think it sounds awesome. I also think that the feature set is a great bang for the buck. But do I really need that much? I have a samsung DLP 72" TV which does all my video switching and a Samsung P-2500 Blu-Ray player which upscales just fine it seems. I also have an Xbox 360. The majority of my television / audio time is for movies. I like the idea of the 140 watt amp built into the 906. Can I just get cheaper receiver though that handles the sound processing I need and get a separate 7 channel amp for more longer term? Thoughts? Ideas? I am ready to pull the trigger on a purchase and just don't know what way to go. My Harmon Kardon AVR 520 just bit the dust.

Thanks!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1100753

Read this thread and see what others think.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

Quote:

Thanks!

Those are questions only you can answer, there are other questions like , do I want to listen to music from all over the world ?, do I want to network and control my receiver from a computer, Do I want to be able to use my computer's Hd to listen to several hrs of uncompressed audio ? Those are other questions that you might want to add at that same price point from Yamaha.

Cheers

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
I'll offer the same opinions I've said to others here. Go buy a good mid-priced receiver that has the inputs and outputs you need. Make sure it has Pre-outs in order to connect an external amp and then go and order an amp from Emotiva. If you want 7 channels look at the UPA7. If 5 is all you want look at the XPA 5. Read as many reviews as you can for the receivers of choice (there's some on this forum for every model ever made). Then read the comments for the Emotiva amps. Also if you decide to go to just separates Emotiva is coming out soon with what seems to be a highly anticipated pre-pro. For $1600 you can look very seriously into going the separates route.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralarcon /forum/post/15458665

Those are questions only you can answer, there are other questions like , do I want to listen to music from all over the world ?, do I want to network and control my receiver from a computer, Do I want to be able to use my computer's Hd to listen to several hrs of uncompressed audio ? Those are other questions that you might want to add at that same price point from Yamaha.

Cheers

Music all over the world is no big deal. I use Pandora for whatever music I want to listen to my FLAC music. I don't care much about controlling my receiver from my computer either. I run Vista Ultimate for a media center and I have a Squeeze Box Duet already. Anyone have a list of pro's and con's to separates vs a single nice high end receiver? I have been Google'ing all day and haven't found much to read up on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/15458752

I'll offer the same opinions I've said to others here. Go buy a good mid-priced receiver that has the inputs and outputs you need. Make sure it has Pre-outs in order to connect an external amp and then go and order an amp from Emotiva. If you want 7 channels look at the UPA7. If 5 is all you want look at the XPA 5. Read as many reviews as you can for the receivers of choice (there's some on this forum for every model ever made). Then read the comments for the Emotiva amps. Also if you decide to go to just separates Emotiva is coming out soon with what seems to be a highly anticipated pre-pro. For $1600 you can look very seriously into going the separates route.

I can definitely look at the seperates but is it really that much better in the long run? The guy at the local hifi shop tried talking me out of it. He seemed to think that just going with the 906 would last me quite awhile and that buy the time I was ready to upgrade the technology on separates would have change significantly by they as well. Do you have any idea when the Emotiva Pre/Pro might be coming out?

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Well of course he doesn't want you to buy separates because he'll lose a sale.

BTW that "guy" is an idiot. Your amp will never go out of style and when new tech come out, just buy a new pro. We won't have too much new stuff for a while now.

The emo stuff should be out in around 2 months or so we hope.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/15459187

Well of course he doesn't want you to buy separates because he'll lose a sale.

BTW that "guy" is an idiot. Your amp will never go out of style and when new tech come out, just buy a new pro. We won't have too much new stuff for a while now.

The emo stuff should be out in around 2 months or so we hope.

Well not necessarily. He could have sold me an pre/pro setup as well.
I just checked out the XPA-5. It looks pretty amazing but it's out of stock.
Any suggestions on a midrange tuner to look into to match up to the Emotiva amp if I were to go that route?

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klebel /forum/post/15459335

Well not necessarily. He could have sold me an pre/pro setup as well.
I just checked out the XPA-5. It looks pretty amazing but it's out of stock.
Any suggestions on a midrange tuner to look into to match up to the Emotiva amp if I were to go that route?

Depends on how many and what type of sources you are trying to control. I've been recommending a Yamaha RX-V663 or the Pioneer 1018. Both of these are in the $450 to $525 range depending on where you get it. As for the 906 over separates I think you would get better service going the separates route. The Emotiva pre-pro is supposed to be out any time now. They have a forum on their site. Check it out. Last time I read the date line was either Jan or Feb of this year. Get a good amp, it will last a long time and who cares when the "new codecs" appear. The amp will always be there. A mid-level receiver or pre-pro is always cheaper to change out than a high end receiver. Also the XPA 5 will be back in stock before you know it. Also what kind of pre-pro and amp could he have sold you for the $1600 you were going to pay for the 906. I'd be interested to know what that setup was. What speakers are you using?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Phantom thanks for all the feedback so far. What is it about the Pioneer and the Yamaha over the Onkyo models? Does THX certification count for much? The Onkyo 706 can be had for $599 and seems to still be a pretty nice unit. I could get something like that with the Emotiva XPA-5.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Phantom52 is right. Say you bought a xpa-5 and a yamaha 633. That would be less than a $1600 receiver and probably blow it out of the water interns of sound quality. (not in all cases but you catch my drift)

A true pro would probably be your best bet but would be a few more $ than a mid receiver.

The emotiva UMC-1 should be out by feb or march.

I can attest to the quality of emotive. I have a XPA-2 and a XPA-5 and am on the pre order list for the XMC-1 ( The model above the umc-1 but 6 months after the umc-1 come out) The are beasts and sound great! Go check out the emo forums and ask some questions, everyone there is very helpful and the owner and lots of the people who work there answer your questions. A great company.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The 663 has inflexible bass mgmt (perhaps a common thing with Yammy), and one of the main reasons I crossed it off the list is because it cannot matrix advanced codec bitstreams.

If you aren't afraid of Onkyo like many others, you might be able to keep $1k in the pocket if the older 805 floats your boat. It uses the same BurrBrown chip as used in the $7,000 Denon AVP, boasts Audyssey XT, matrixes both bitstreams or mch pcm, better bass mgmt, strong amplifier for a receiver. Several of these things noted have been downgraded with the newer 806, word of warning.

It runs hot, and Onkyo is often noted for terrible CS. Some have had good CS experiences, but there are a lot of experiences to the contrary. That being said, two of the most prolific posters at AH have had very bad experiences with Emotiva as well, and neither will ever buy from them again. OTOH, they don't want to buy Onkyo either...

You might not even need an outboard amp, depending on the volumes obtained, speakers' characteristics, distance seated from speakers.

I desired nice pre/pros like the Integra 9.8, but I don't need XLRs, reon, dual hdmi outputs, or Audyssey Pro (or not yet at least!). Alas, $1k that went directly towards room treatments.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
My HK AVR 520 is still working although I've retired it from my audio rack. I wrestled with similar questions a few months ago as you are now.

I ended up buying the Emo UPA-7 and the upgrade in sound over a very good sounding 520 continues to amaze me. I've replaced the 520 with another HK, an AVR 247 which is much easier to configure than the 520 was, and there are many more options available.

My total price for the UPA-7 and the 247 was $803. That is very hard to beat for the power and features the two provide. The UPA-7 is on sale right now for an even better price than I paid. Nothing like a good deal getting even better.

Another option is the XPA-3 if you want brute power up front, and you can let your new AVR do surround duties. If I were still looking today thats probably the route I would take. Most of my use is 2 channel music, YMMV.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Klebel: Seeing that you are in Gig Harbour,hop on a boat across the pond and drop by for a visit here in Victoria B.C. and hear my system.

I was going through the same thought process as you as I was looking at the new Rotel,NAD separates or maybe Emotiva.

Go back to your local Magnolia and check out the Poineer Elite SC-05.

These class D Ice Amps stay cool driving my large Paradigms with ease.

I've also tried the preouts using an external power amp and very little difference was heard vs. the rcvrs amp section in my 2900 cubic ft. rm.

My real concern with Emotiva's new up and coming processor are constant firmware updates that it may encounter early on.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klebel /forum/post/15460467

Phantom thanks for all the feedback so far. What is it about the Pioneer and the Yamaha over the Onkyo models? Does THX certification count for much? The Onkyo 706 can be had for $599 and seems to still be a pretty nice unit. I could get something like that with the Emotiva XPA-5.

Your welcome. The only problems I see with the Onkyo units is their heat output. However, that can easily be cured with additional cooling fans added. I've used Onkyo in the past and never had any problems whatsoever with them. I still favor the either the receiver(mid-level) or pre-pro route with an amp. Another option that has not been discussed and take it with a grain of salt is bi-amping your speakers with the receiver + amp option. Depending on your speakers this is something you may want to try. The receiver/amp combo just gives you more options than just a receiver and ends up less expensive in the long run. I say if you really like the 706 go for it, also as stated in other post here the 805/875 are even better but more money. Either of the 3 receivers + an Emotiva amp will still get you below that $1600 you were initially going to spend and sound better along with more flexibility for the future. Spend the savings on room treatments or upgrading other parts of your system. Still would like to know what speakers you are using.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:

Thanks!

well, if ya gots da sheckels, then of course you need the receiver.

as simple as that!

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate /forum/post/15461299

well, if ya gots da sheckels, then of course you need the receiver.

as simple as that!

I say get over the "sheckels" and go the other route. Rcr/amp or Pre/pro amp.

You don't need to spend that kind of money for a one box solution that will be outdated next year. Beleive me you will want to upgrade when the next "big" thing comes out. Then you will get to see what that $2000 receiver is really worth.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/15461277

Your welcome. The only problems I see with the Onkyo units is their heat output. However, that can easily be cured with additional cooling fans added. I've used Onkyo in the past and never had any problems whatsoever with them. I still favor the either the receiver(mid-level) or pre-pro route with an amp. Another option that has not been discussed and take it with a grain of salt is bi-amping your speakers with the receiver + amp option. Depending on your speakers this is something you may want to try. The receiver/amp combo just gives you more options than just a receiver and ends up less expensive in the long run. I say if you really like the 706 go for it, also as stated in other post here the 805/875 are even better but more money. Either of the 3 receivers + an Emotiva amp will still get you below that $1600 you were initially going to spend and sound better along with more flexibility for the future. Spend the savings on room treatments or upgrading other parts of your system. Still would like to know what speakers you are using.

Ah! I must have missed the question Phantom. I have a set of NHT Classic 4's in the front and a set of Perfect Zero's for the rears and a Three C for a center. I did some more reading last night on the new Emo processor setup and it sounds excellent if it ever comes out.
Maybe I should get on the preorder list!

As for the Onkyo heat...I lurk here A LOT and read a lot of the 905 and 906 owner threads. I hear a lot about the heat but very little about side effects from that heat. I honestly don't mind the heat if it doesn't cook the receiver. Either way...I appreciate all the feedback guys. I think you sold me on the Emo 5 channel amp and a new receiver. Now the choice of the new receiver is the next question. All my research originally was around the higher end receivers. I had not looked at mid range receivers much.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagimax /forum/post/15460981

Klebel: Seeing that you are in Gig Harbour,hop on a boat across the pond and drop by for a visit here in Victoria B.C. and hear my system.

I was going through the same thought process as you as I was looking at the new Rotel,NAD separates or maybe Emotiva.

Go back to your local Magnolia and check out the Poineer Elite SC-05.

These class D Ice Amps stay cool driving my large Paradigms with ease.

I've also tried the preouts using an external power amp and very little difference was heard vs. the rcvrs amp section in my 2900 cubic ft. rm.

My real concern with Emotiva's new up and coming processor are constant firmware updates that it may encounter early on.

Thanks for the invite Yagimax. I might take ya up on that. I am out of town for work the next 3 weeks or so though. Maybe once I get back.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I was in the same boat and I just bought Onkyo 906. I can't be happier. I didn't go separates route because I didn't need that kind of power or flexibility. Onkyo provides more power than I may ever need for my small speakers. The reason why I picked their flagship is due to all the bells and whistles plus the outstanding video processing capabilities. Not many receivers allow your system to be calibrated by input and this one does. If you will get your system calibrated at one point, this is an amazing feature. I also use its upscaling for my Dish Box. All my Dish Box HD signals are upconverted to 1080P by Onkyo since it has edge enhancement and mosquito noise reduction features. I am not positive if there is any benefit in this or not though as I have not compared this method with pass-through yet.

It also has other cool features which come very handy in day-to-day use such as Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, Re-equalizer, and late night. I would imagine most low end receivers don't offer Dynamic EQ. Audyssey was very convenient as well even though not extremely accurate. It may be a good idea to fine tune after running audyssey.

Networking works just fine too. It was a breeze for me to set it up and I am not a very techie guy. You will not need this since you have the Duet but it also has internet radios which you may listen.

I would recommend this receiver hands down for anyone who has small speakers and doesn't need raw power and flexibility of a separate amp. Amazing value.

One last note is on the heat issue, to me this is overrated. I didn't experience mine to get that hot at all. Though I can see someone who has a closed rack space may be running into problems. If your rack is open, it will work just fine irrespective of empty space around it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts