AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hunting for solutions for my line conditioning/surge supression/battery back-up needs, as it seems many on the forums are. I've been looking at the Belkin PF60 and their Pure AV Battery Backup, but I've discovered that the battery backup doesn't output a true sine wave when the power goes out. I'm simply looking for something to keep the fan running on our RPTV to protect the bulb and my question is...is it really necesssary that the battery backup outputs a true sine wave? Furthermore, will a unit that outputs the square/stepped wave actually damage my equipment? I'd like to try to find an all-in-one solution but the units that I've found (APC, Panamax, et al) are a bit out of my price range (+$1K). We've got all of our gear on a 20-amp dedicated circuit and we very rarely lose power, but with a new TV on the way, I'd like to buy some A/V insurance just in case.


Any suggestions, analysis, recommendations, links, etc would be greatly appreciated. If it means shelling out a grand, I suppose I could stomach it, but if there was a less expensive and equally responsible way to protect our gear I'm all ears!


Thanks,


Jason
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,054 Posts
If you rarely lose power, why do you need the UPS. UPS' are useful in places that constantly get power outages. You definitely don't want to input a square wave into your expensive tv.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
564 Posts
The Belkin product is absolute crap! I mean a battery back up that initially throws 140v to your equipment when it kicks in! Come on! Try the Monster or Panamax product. They work well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Ive been considering the same thing, but I also don't want it harming my TV. My power sags and goes out A LOT. My setup right now invloves a very old APC Back-UPS 400 plugged into the wall and then an Acoustic Research "Clean Power" Surge strip plugged into that. It is able to back up my 27" Tube and Harman Kardon AVR430 for about 5 minutes.


I am having my new Sony LCD projection delivered today and I want something that will protect it. I am thinking about going with a newer APC backup unit that will do AVR and plugging either a Monster power center or one of the Belkin power centers into that.


Has anyone had experience with the Belkin PureAV HT Battery Backup? Would I still need to plug it into another clean power center?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrulze
The Belkin product is absolute crap! I mean a battery back up that initially throws 140v to your equipment when it kicks in! Come on! Try the Monster or Panamax product. They work well.
Belkin PF60 is crap? Why is it crap...do you have a source...can you back up that statement...monster is better :rolleyes: I think you better do some more research before replying to this thread with your statement...Belkin PF60 is getting very high reviews and can be had at a very good price...it is loaded with features. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651
Belkin PF60 is crap? Why is it crap...do you have a source...can you back up that statement...monster is better :rolleyes: I think you better do some more research before replying to this thread with your statement...Belkin PF60 is getting very high reviews and can be had at a very good price...it is loaded with features. :)
I'd like to have some good info on the PF60 as well. I am able to get it at a VERY good price, but if its crap, I dont want it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that comment was a little odd...:rolleyes: but I think it was in reference to the battery back-up. I'd still like to know why it's "crap" and why the other products are better. If it's just a matter of square/block/stepped wave instead of a pure sine wave, then that's fine, but if there are other things that come into play, I'd sure like to know.


Meanwhile...the Panamax 1500 looks like it might be a good all-in-one solution...? Thoughts on this?


Thanks!


Jason (the waffler)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Hey Jason,


OK I must be totally lost but how are you figuring $1000 for your needs? Check out APC's Smart UPS 700 -- great unit, it has plenty of power, pure sine wave output, line conditioning, under/over voltage protection, and user replaceable battery. MSRP is pretty decent too. Does it not have enough surge protection for you? I think its listed at 540 joules.


Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoote
OK I must be totally lost but how are you figuring $1000 for your needs?
I was just saying that if total protection came at a cost of $1000, I might be able to stomach it, but I'd rather spend in the $400-600 range. I'll be looking to safeguard about $9000 in gear once the new TV arrives, so I consider it an investment/insurance policy. Thanks for the tip on the APC unit, which I believe has been discontinued, but I'll look at its successor.


Thanks!


Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonColeman
I was just saying that if total protection came at a cost of $1000, I might be able to stomach it, but I'd rather spend in the $400-600 range. I'll be looking to safeguard about $9000 in gear once the new TV arrives, so I consider it an investment/insurance policy. Thanks for the tip on the APC unit, which I believe has been discontinued, but I'll look at its successor.


Thanks!


Jason
I hear you about the cost of your system, you definitely don't want to be cheap on protection. This is just my $.02, but don't go too crazy with line conditioning -- Krell, who is a fairly respected company in the world of Hi-Fi does not reccomend *any* line conditioning devices on their electronics. The gentleman who responded to my inquiry a few years ago is an engineer at Krell, so take it for what it's worth... (I know you'll get 99999 different opinions, so I figured I'd throw mine in :p )


I know most UPS's throw in line conditioning so it probably won't make a difference feature wise one way or the other.


Yeah, I believe there is a Smart UPS 750 out now. I'll be following this thread myself as I'll be curious to see what you end up with.


Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonColeman
Yeah, that comment was a little odd...:rolleyes: but I think it was in reference to the battery back-up. I'd still like to know why it's "crap" and why the other products are better.
It hums a lot and, when I asked, Belkin said that was normal.


Kal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoote
Hey Jason,


OK I must be totally lost but how are you figuring $1000 for your needs? Check out APC's Smart UPS 700 -- great unit, it has plenty of power, pure sine wave output, line conditioning, under/over voltage protection, and user replaceable battery. MSRP is pretty decent too. Does it not have enough surge protection for you? I think its listed at 540 joules.


Chris
The APCAV Guys noted some issues with the use of any computer UPSs, including their own, with AV equipment. Admittedly they have a vested interest, but their points sound legitimate and they seem to be straightshooters (at least that is what they claim :)).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&page=27&pp=30
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashadow
The APCAV Guys noted some issues with the use of any computer UPSs, including their own, with AV equipment. Admittedly they have a vested interest, but their points sound legitimate and they seem to be straightshooters (at least that is what they claim :)).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&page=27&pp=30
Good point, thanks for the link!


Jason, ignore my previous post :D


EDIT: Wow, I just saw the prices on those APC Home Theater units :eek: While their specs might be better, that is just crazy. Needless to say I am only going to be using a UPS on my TV. I think a Brickwall and a UPS might work well together and provide the protection I need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unless somebody can talk me out of it, the Panamax 1500 really looks like the product for me...line conditioning, over/under voltage protection, and good battery backup. The only flaw (other than cost) is that it only has 6 outlets, all of which will be used up right away. Other than that, it looks like a winner.


Thanks!


Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonColeman
Unless somebody can talk me out of it, the Panamax 1500 really looks like the product for me...line conditioning, over/under voltage protection, and good battery backup. The only flaw (other than cost) is that it only has 6 outlets, all of which will be used up right away. Other than that, it looks like a winner.


Thanks!


Jason
I don't think you can go wrong with any of their products. I have a Panamax Max 1500 surge protector/line conditioner and need(want) to add a UPS for the SXRD I will be getting as well. Not sure what I will add at this point but, Panamax is always at the top of my list.

I know you will let us know what you decide. Good luck :) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonColeman
Unless somebody can talk me out of it, the Panamax 1500 really looks like the product for me...line conditioning, over/under voltage protection, and good battery backup. The only flaw (other than cost) is that it only has 6 outlets, all of which will be used up right away. Other than that, it looks like a winner.


Thanks!


Jason
You are at the same place that I found myself for a while now. I am wondering if a couple of cube taps might solve the outlet problem, but I suppose that would probably allow component noise from one device to reach the other devices plugged into the same tap. It seems that I may have to seriously consider buying a 5410 or 5510 also. Even worse - the authorized on-line dealer that used to discount Panamax, apparently no longer does so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,172 Posts
"I'm simply looking for something to keep the fan running on our RPTV to protect the bulb and my question is...is it really necesssary that the battery backup outputs a true sine wave?"


You don't need any kind of UPS with your TV.


I know people are going to tell you some ridiculous story about why you do need one. But you don't.


A $200 lamp does not need the protection of a $200 battery so that it can avoid a bout or two of air cooling now and then in the unlikely event the power fails while you are watching TV.


You want to buy a decent Panamax surge protector? Fine. Good company. Good surge protectors. Reasonable precaution.


Buying a UPS is totally unnecessary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo
"I'm simply looking for something to keep the fan running on our RPTV to protect the bulb and my question is...is it really necesssary that the battery backup outputs a true sine wave?"


You don't need any kind of UPS with your TV.


I know people are going to tell you some ridiculous story about why you do need one. But you don't.


A $200 lamp does not need the protection of a $200 battery so that it can avoid a bout or two of air cooling now and then in the unlikely event the power fails while you are watching TV.


You want to buy a decent Panamax surge protector? Fine. Good company. Good surge protectors. Reasonable precaution.


Buying a UPS is totally unnecessary.
You obviously live in an area that does not have frequent blackouts or brownouts. I live in central Florida where there are frequent outages due to thunderstorms, and not having an UPS would be foolish. So it really depends on where you live whether you need an UPS or not.
 
1 - 20 of 99 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top