AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have an mbm-12 that is NOT nearfield. My only intention of the 12 was to take the "load" off of my epik tower higher than 50hz. It does sound great (both subs together), but times are tough and I'm wondering if it's something essential at this point. The whole reason of getting (also) was to keep my Tower from going into protect mode during just a few bass-heavy movies like TFOTF and The Incredible Hulk. Already swapped amps, I just like my subs adjusted at higher volumes. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN /forum/post/16930858

Hey Guys,

I have an mbm-12 that is NOT nearfield. My only intention of the 12 was to take the "load" off of my epik tower higher than 50hz. It does sound great (both subs together), but times are tough and I'm wondering if it's something essential at this point. The whole reason of getting (also) was to keep my Tower from going into protect mode during just a few bass-heavy movies like TFOTF and The Incredible Hulk. Already swapped amps, I just like my subs adjusted at higher volumes. Any thoughts?

I have 2 of them and each one is wired thru the mains for more mid-bass. I like mid-bass in movies.

Bill

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey bill, are your mbm's nearfield? Mine is next to my right front speaker, and my Big sub is next to my left speaker.....I really do like the combo, but wondering about a couple things; maybe I should hook them up to the mains (like you do), or actually hook it up thru the center? Or just sell it and let my sub do all the work again, with a chance of overload on really heavy bass scenes.....

·
Registered
4,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN /forum/post/16932533

hey bill, are your mbm's nearfield? Mine is next to my right front speaker, and my Big sub is next to my left speaker.....I really do like the combo, but wondering about a couple things; maybe I should hook them up to the mains (like you do), or actually hook it up thru the center? Or just sell it and let my sub do all the work again, with a chance of overload on really heavy bass scenes.....

Like I said, wired thru the mains and they are next to the mains. If you do that, calibrate the MBM flat with the mains as you don't want to drown out the background audio. Mine are flat and adds to the mid bass.

Bill

·
Registered
145 Posts
In my opinion, it's best that you sell that MBM-12 and get another epik tower to give you more headroom. Ideally, one should have identical sub units to produce the bass sounds so that bass quality will not be compromise throughout the band and thus it is generally recommended to use identical subs in multiple subs configuration. Although the MBM-12 is indeed a great product, I feel it is meant to mate more with the Hsu VTFs lineup to add more midbass experience. The MBM-12 driver should sound similar to the VTFs lineup 50 hz and above so that it blends nicely with the VTFs producing 50 Hz and below.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have a pair of mbm's, one under each of the the side surrounds which are next to the main listening area. Iam getting the much needed SLAM I was missing without them. Love mine.

·
Registered
145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN /forum/post/16933248

skool,

There is no way I can find the exact sub.....unless I can find one used. Epik changed their line a while ago. I don't have the budget to buy another sub. Just hoping that my Tower will fill the bill IF i sell the mbm..........

Ah, I see. I didn't know that. Currently, you have three possible options:

(1) sell both the Epik Tower and MBM-12 or

(2) sell the Epik Tower and buy a VTF-3 Mk. 3 to mate with the MBM-12

(3) sell both and try a more powerful beast such as the SVS PB13-Ultra

I am not sure if the VTF-3 Mk. 3 is as powerful as your Epik Tower, but couple with the MBM-12 for nearfield placement, the results may be enjoyable for movies as well as music. Regarding the PB13 Ultra, it could be your final solution if you feel you're not getting enough bass and headroom from your Epik Tower.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think he has a fourth option which is to keep the MBM-12. Also the SVS PB13 isn't a more powerful beast than his Epic Tower. The tower has both more bass, deeper bass, and headroom, where it lacks is the sq of the ultra with music.

KBMAN I would try turning off your MBM-12 for a week and see how you like it. If you can handle it than sell the MBM, people jump all over those and I would guess you might have it sold within a couple of hours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.