AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new router and debating on the

Linksys WRT350N (Wireless N 2.4Mhz) or Linksys WRT600N (Dual-Band Wireless-N 2.4 and 5Mhz)

I am looking more into the former.

1) What is the actual advantage of the Dual Band 2.4 and 5 GHz?

2) I have a cordless phone system at home that runs on 5.8 Ghz. Will the dual band router interfere with the phone or vice-versa?

·
Registered
25 Posts
1) Total speed = speed of 2.4GHz band + speed of 5 GHz band (assuming you are using one of their dual-band wifi cards)

2) Can't get Linksys' site to open any of the detailed docs - if "5GHz" -> "exactly 5GHz" then no, if "5GHz" -> "some sort of GHz with a 5 in it" then maybe

Title) Depends on what you will be using it for

·
Registered
44 Posts
The 2.4ghz band is becoming increasingly crowded. Microwaves, cordless phones,etc., may cause interference with wifi networks.

If the numbers are correct, the 5ghz wireless band uses 19 channels at 5.700 and below. Should not cause interference with 5.8ghz phones.

As for wireless N, I have read the final specs won't be finalized until late 2008 or early 2009. If you do purchase one, I recommend it to be firmware upgradeable to the final spec.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roveen_A /forum/post/12923338

I am in the market for a new router and debating on the

Linksys WRT350N (Wireless N 2.4Mhz) or Linksys WRT600N (Dual-Band Wireless-N 2.4 and 5Mhz)

I am looking more into the former.

1) What is the actual advantage of the Dual Band 2.4 and 5 GHz?

2) I have a cordless phone system at home that runs on 5.8 Ghz. Will the dual band router interfere with the phone or vice-versa?

I have a D-Link DGL-4300 I do not game but it is a awesome router, the wired port is gigabit,(both my wired pc's have gigabit ports) I had bad luck with D-Link previously but this thing is the exception, also if you pair it with the right wireless cards it will do 108G

·
Registered
72 Posts
My neighborhood is saturated with literally hundreds of detectable 2.4 GHZ networks, but NONE of my neighbors appear to be using the 5 GHZ band yet. I'm now using a WRT-600N with the 2.4 GHZ radio completely turned off in the configuration. 802.11n on the 5 GHZ band works very well. I plan to re-flash the WRT-600N using DD-WRT firmware just as soon as this router is officially supported by DD-WRT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts