AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently swopped my 685 fronts for a pair 683s. The rest of my system is a B&W HTm 62 centre and a pair of DS3 rears with a BK 400 sub, connected to an Anthem MRX 510.

I;m just wondering now whether to continue using my 62 for the centre or use one of the 685s? I've tried swopping it and to my ears the 685 seems a bit 'nicer' but I honestly don't know if thats just a placebo effect!

What do people reckon?

James

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I've read in many reviews that the best center for the 600 series is the 685. The problem with the 685 is having the space to accommodate it in the vertical position. Now, B&W would tell you that the correct center for your 683's would be the htm61. I'd go with what sounds best to YOUR ears. If it happens to be the 685, you can know that it's most likely not just a placebo effect as many online reviewers feel the same way.

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
I am that smarter guy and no you cannot lay a vertical speaker horizontally. The speaker will get irritated with you and subsequently shutdown freq 119 which will make all male voices sound like charlie browns grandmother.

14 years ago one man tried this and became the only one in history to have positive results. He made a prediction that in the future another would come and benefit from this same setup. He cautioned us with some advice, he said this man will know he is that man when he finds and reads the secret scrolls that state "just try it". :)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Thanks both. Really interesting. Crn: can I not just lay it on its side? djp: in what way would say it is better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't remember exactly why but I just wasn't happy with the sound quality of the HTM62. It was kind of dull sounding in my setup. Unlike any other center I had used. I think the HTM61 is much better though I haven't heard it.

In general I try to use bookshelves as centers as the design of the MTM center is compromised and was only designed that way to fit in entertainment centers. Lots to read about that.

·
Premium Member
7,784 Posts
The 685 would make a great center if you can make it work. The HTM61 is definitely better than the HTM62 even though it is considered by some to have a flawed design.

Reactions: sdg4vfx

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't remember exactly why but I just wasn't happy with the sound quality of the HTM62. It was kind of dull sounding in my setup. Unlike any other center I had used. I think the HTM61 is much better though I haven't heard it.

In general I try to use bookshelves as centers as the design of the MTM center is compromised and was only designed that way to fit in entertainment centers. Lots to read about that.

Thank m you. I'll give it a shot then although it will have to be on its side...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Thank m you. I'll give it a shot then although it will have to be on its side...

Oh didn't realize you would have to put it on it's side. No way you can change your setup? Different entertainment center? Wall mount tv, etc? You get frequency peaks and dips when the tweeter and woofer are side by side (lobing). A center speaker has a woofer on each side of the tweeter to make the lobing symmetrical, but it doesn't get rid of it. That's why a center speaker never really matches the L & R.

Let us know how it sounds. Maybe you could prop it up on stand in front of your setup just to compare how it sounds to laying on it's side?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will have a play. I guess the thing I need to work out is a) will laying on its side damage the speaker and b) will laying on its side still produce a better sound than the 62?

·
Premium Member
7,784 Posts
Since you aren't going with one of the FST centers the 685 may in fact be better. It sounds like you tried it and were pleased with the results. I would suggest living with that configuration for a bit before making the final decision.

·
Premium Member
7,784 Posts
Thanks both. I'll let you know! What do yiu mean by FST speakers?

The HTM61 has the FST (fixed suspension transducer) midrange driver (the CMC2 as well). It's just one part of the design that makes the larger centers special.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts