AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a question if im using a hd comcast box that allows digital as well as hdmi connections - could i use digital with my receiver and still be getting the best sound it can push??? in other words is a hdmi useless for regular hd cable or would i be getting better sound with it?

my receiver goes up to 7.1

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Depends what receiver you have. Some receiver are video pass through only meaning they cant accept a HDMI audio signal.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdawson /forum/post/15592001

ive got a question if im using a hd comcast box that allows digital as well as hdmi connections - could i use digital with my receiver and still be getting the best sound it can push??? in other words is a hdmi useless for regular hd cable or would i be getting better sound with it?

It would sound the same. Cable doesn't provide anything more than 5.1 Dolby Digital at best, and that's assuming you're watching HD channels that have shows with 5.1.

Both HDMI and optical can transmit that to your receiver. HDMI wouldn't be useless, and actually would be a one-cable solution, but you need a receiver with HDMI audio capability.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with Tupla, if your reciever can do audio over hdmi then use hdmi for the sake of using 1 cable, if not then use optical.. same sound.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/15593698

It would sound the same. Cable doesn't provide anything more than 5.1 Dolby Digital at best, and that's assuming you're watching HD channels that have shows with 5.1.

Both HDMI and optical can transmit that to your receiver. HDMI wouldn't be useless, and actually would be a one-cable solution, but you need a receiver with HDMI audio capability.

Ok what i dont get is how is it a one cable solution though, with optical wouldnt it be the same? With hdmi i would go from the cable box to the receiver and thats it? And hows optical?

Also if i go the hdmi route....is it true I would have to have my receiver powered on all the time in order to watch/hear tv? It would be nice to not always have to have the receiver on and actually use the normal tv speaker once in a while

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdawson /forum/post/15605710

Also if i go the hdmi route....is it true I would have to have my receiver powered on all the time in order to watch/hear tv? It would be nice to not always have to have the receiver on and actually use the normal tv speaker once in a while

I was also wondering about this. I never had a home theater yet so I am sort of clueless. Are you suppose to connect everything like the sat box and dvd players to the receiver and it would only work if you had the receiver on? Also for every hdmi wire would you need a hdmi wire out, and then same for component and composite cables.

·
Registered
29,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdawson /forum/post/15605710

Ok what i dont get is how is it a one cable solution though, with optical wouldnt it be the same? With hdmi i would go from the cable box to the receiver and thats it? And hows optical?

HDMI carries audio and video whereas optical only carries audio. So if you were to use optical, you still need to send video to your receiver or TV.

Quote:

Yes you would have to have your receiver powered on in order to watch/hear TV with HDMI thru the receiver.

In your case maybe its best to run HDMI to your TV directly and then connect an optical cable to the receiver. That way you can choose to turn or your receiver for audio if you want to or just use the TV's built in speakers.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilxskull /forum/post/15605972

I was also wondering about this. I never had a home theater yet so I am sort of clueless. Are you suppose to connect everything like the sat box and dvd players to the receiver and it would only work if you had the receiver on?

Yeah. If you want to have a choice between TV and receiver audio, you'll need cables to both. The TV will only need analog audio (red/white RCA) cables.

Quote:
Also for every hdmi wire would you need a hdmi wire out, and then same for component and composite cables.

Some receivers can convert signals from other sources to HDMI, so you can run one HDMI cable out.

Make sure the receiver can actually do that. Don't just assume it does. It should say somewhere in the ad copy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts