AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to start wiring a basement room (right now it's just open studs/joists) for home theater sound and even though I can't afford an Atmos receiver or any in-ceiling speakers yet (and won't be able to for at least a year) i figured i'd run wire to the four spots on the ceiling that they'd theoretically go and save myself some trouble in the future.

The room is below my living room and from reading at first it seemed like MDF back boxes are suggested for in-ceilings to prevent sound from carrying into rooms above.

But since i don't know what speakers i'd even get (chances are they'd be cheap monoprice ones but there's also a decent chance I might end up not getting any at all) I'm wondering if I should even bother with trying to build and mount boxes pre-drywall install. Making the speakers sound better would not be a concern...only reason i'd build boxes would be sound deadening.

I understand if you're using in-ceilings as your mains that they'd be putting out a lot of sound but are the height channels in an Atmos system doing a lot of heavy lifting and giving a lot of output? All the ceiling joist voids will be filled with Roxul insulation (more to keep sounds from upstairs from bleeding downstairs)...you think that'd be sufficient?

I'm not trying to stop all sound from escaping (which is likely impossible) but if anyone upstairs would be hearing my sub (likely a VTF-4mk5) more than non-enclosed height channels when I'm watching a movie then i won't bother with the boxes.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I would go ahead and box out the sections where you plan future ceiling loudspeakers. It will help isolate their sound from the spaces above. It can't hoit.

However, you are right to point out that the subwoofer will dominate everything else. The boxes may keep the swooshes confined downstairs, but the boom-booms are gonna propagate through everything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts