AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read that LCD's DO buzz. Samsungs and the like. Not sure if the Sony XBR's do too (e.g. XBR6-9). Though some people say that some LCD's are totally quiet. True? If so which brands/models?

I have a new 60" Pioneer Elite Signature. I hear the buzz more easily when it's being bed SD video via HDMI (SD TV programming or the SD portions of the intro of a BD...PC-13 screen for example). When I'm playing HD material what little buzz there is is not audible from beyond 5". Good news is that the stations are moving to HD. The larger ones already have partially if not fully.

I say it's SD video because My 60" KURO is a monitor. No speakers or amp on the monitor. So only...I was going to say video is transmitted to the monitor...when really I guess so is SD audio. Maybe it's just the SD signal period. A/V both.

Is there anything we can do to "clean up" the signal between the receiver and HDTV? (plasma or LCD) When using HDMI cabling.

Odd thing. I never noticed this buzz when demoing at the shops. Though I was never looking for it.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Yes they do. I can't speak for ALL LCDs, but the new B750 Samsung series all buzz (I had a couple of 52s and 46s in my possession). The buzz is inaudible from normal seating positions.

Now plasmas are a different story. I've never owned a plasma that didn't buzz. Depending on your ambient sounds, you might never hear it. I watch movies in some VERY quiet rooms, and the buzz was quite obvious on my Panasonic plasma (older 480p model). Newer models still suffer from it, and I've personally never demoed a plasma that didn't buzz... I know the current Samsung plasmas buzz, as people talk about the issue in the plasma sections of AVS.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I guess LCD's buzz is much more faint (when at "normal" seating distances). No matter the material being piped to it. SD or HD programming. DVD or BD. Or any portion of the DVD or BD (e.g. adds, PG-13 screens).

As I said. Never noticed even the KURO's buzzing the she showrooms. And I have demoed them in demo rooms. Just me most of the time. Sometimes with the salesman. Was never looking for it. Maybe because I own one I am looking for it. More sensitive to it.

Oh well. Nothing we can do. Always some trade-off with any display device I guess. With projectors it's fan noise. No matter how much quieter they have become. You will always hear it if you listen for it. Especially during quiet scenes. But I don't think they buzz.

Looking forward to the day when we have nothing but HD programming and there is no SD put on BD. And I might try a LCD next. I mean if you can't hear the buzz when seated...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I have 2 lcds, 1 plasma. (32xbr1,37lz800, 4280 kuro), i don't hear any buzzing.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
I have a Samsung 46A650 and a Samsung 37B650. Neither one of them buzz. I even put my ears close to them just to make sure and didn't hear a thing until the gnat sitting on top of the bezel of my 46" farted.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Odd. Though you do have an older KURO. But as I said. I never noticed any buzzing on any new LCD or plasma when I was demoing them at the shops. Not even my own KURO Elite Signature. Didn't hear a thing. Maybe you've become desensitized to the buzz sound. Stopped or was never looking for it.

And some LCD's buzz other's don't. What about the Sony XBR6, 7, 8 or 9's??

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a Kuro 5010 and Sony XBR6. The Kuro buzzes only in the sweet spot, which is rarely occupied (and I think all plasmas buzz -- it's the nature of the tech -- but I think aren't heard in stores because of ambient noise, a well defined sweet spot, perhaps less sensitivity to it, and some brands using double-pane glass on their panels, which seems to minimize it). I don't hear a peep from the Sony and didn't, either, from a previously owned XBR1 and Toshibe LCD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.