Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

I normally hang out in the Projector and Replay forums, but I've got a slightly off topic question that I wanted to ask of you folks who might have the best info.

Do LCD monitors age? That is, do they get dimmer over time?

The reason I ask is that I have a Planar 19" LCD that I've really liked and when I saw that Dell's price had dropped yet again I got another one to use in a dual monitor setup. The new monitor has bright paper whites and the six month old one is slightly dimmer even with identical settings.

There are a couple of other variables in the setup such as slightly different versions of firmware that I would normally expect would be source of the issue, but I remember that when the first monitor arrived, I was using it in a dual monitor setup with an older Samsung LCD and noticed a similar difference in brightness between it and the older monitor. So that got me wondering and I thought that I'd pass the question on to the experts.

Thanks,

Mike H.

·
Super Moderator
21,566 Posts
my guess it is the fluorescent backlight that has lost some output over time: some new LCD displays have backlight controls

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Some old LCD displays have light output controls. Laptops, for example, have had crude backlight adjusters for many years.

·
Registered
164 Posts
They do loose some back-lighting over time. I had a 12.1" Toshiba LCD notebook display that after 3 years its back-light got dimmer and also had a brownish tint to it as well. I am currently using a Samsung 172T and keep its back-light setting to 50%. I work with Human to Machine Interfaces that use LCD displays. At a convention one of the manufactures of the displays (Sharp) said that by keeping the back-light set lower will definitely increase the life of the florescent lamps. I forgot the percentages they gave.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the input. I don't see any direct backlight control via the OSD but I'll poke around in the manual (gasp!) as well.

I would have never noticed the issue unless the two of them were side by side. And really that's the only quibble that I have - for $500 (currently) they're really sweet monitors.

Mike H.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The backlight tubes die with time. The first year or two they'll age enough to notice compared agains a brand new one.

The color balance will shift as well as the phosphors in the tube age at different rates.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.