AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my Mits 46809. When viewing my locals via OTA at 1080i, will the window box black bars cause burnin? I know watching 480i/p in narrow mode with the gray bars will do it. I have the contrast down to 1/3 or less and will go throught the entire Avia setup this weekend. Should I worry about watching windowboxed 1080i?

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
Chris,

Over time, CRT phosphors fade with use. If any area of the screen is used more than another then it will become dimmer.

Modern phosphors tend to be more resistant than they used to be, but the effect does still exist. Many TVs generate grey in the unused areas so the whole screen tends to age at the same rate.

Unfortunately, most extreme widescreen source material includes black letterboxing borders. You'll see this on DVDs as well. You might try contacting your local stations to see if there's any way they can insert grey bars, but I think it's unlikely. I'm actually surprised that high-end DVD players don't include such a feature. Maybe more public awareness is needed.

Sorry.

------------------

Selden

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi Chris,

Black bars are worse than gray. Yes, your set will suffer burn-in IF you watch only 4:3 programs a lot; don't watch any other modes; and don't reduce contrast.

Thanks,

Errol

------------------
Keohi HDTV

Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

·
Registered
13,771 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi matt,

Word IF meant to precede each on the list.

Info on burn-in/contrast here .

Thanks,

Errol

------------------
Keohi HDTV

Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

[This message has been edited by kealii (edited 10-12-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.