AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering wether the owners of Lexicons, Theta's and Meridians have enquired into wether there is an upgrade available for the new formats and is it a firmware upgrade or a chip change for the new DTS format as I have been led to believe?

Spero D.

· Registered
4,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never mind. I just called Lexicon and they said No to all 3 as there is no demand for them and according to their computers a upgrade is not planned for the future for the MC-1 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif Something about how it wouldn't accept the data stream. Also he didn't know and had never heard of DTS Neo 6 or Dolby Pro-Logic 2. I also asked about the rumoured replacement for the MC-1 and he said "I don't know about any replacement, but Im not going to say there won't be one by the end of the year".

Called Meridian and they were a bit more knowlegable. They are working on the DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete. He wouldn't tell me that the upgrade would be via firmware or hardware chip change. Also went on to say that according to what he was told from DTS the discrete and the matrixed is the same and they already have that implemented. So all in all I left the discussion confused as to what Meridian is doing with the upgrade. He did say there are no licenses yet for DTS Neo 6 from DTS yet and no licenses available either from Dolby for Dolby Pro-logic 2.

Calling Theta next.

Upgradeability. Don't you just love it http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Spero D.

[This message has been edited by Spizz (edited August 14, 2000).]

· Registered
280 Posts
You didn't get very good info for Meridian, but here are the facts I know for certain. I have good contacts at some of the companies you mentioned, Meridian and Theta. Here is what they are doing:

Meridian:

There will be an upgrade which will be software based like all others in the past. All that's required is to download the new code into the processor. Files as always can be found on the web site when released. The 861 will get new code for Digital EX first, then the 568 and 561 processors will follow very soon. This will happen in the next couple of months if not sooner.

Nothing done yet on the new DTS code yet but they will support it and release code for it as well. Same goes for SACD and DVD-Audio support.

Theta:

Plans to support Digital EX and SACD/DVD-Audio (when standards are worked out). Nothing in the near future on these but plan it and new DTS fields as well later.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.