AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear that a lot of companies use other companies drivers and tweeters. I hear that seas tweeters are so bright that a lot of people can't stand them. any companies that don't use seas and use their own brand tweeters and drivers?

·
Registered
9,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat  /t/1469838/do-most-speaker-companies-use-seas-tweeters-or-use-own-brand/0_100#post_23242274

I hear that a lot of companies use other companies drivers and tweeters. I hear that seas tweeters are so bright that a lot of people can't stand them. any companies that don't use seas and use their own brand tweeters and drivers?
Lots of companies uses lots of different brands of drivers, some from 'known' companies such as SEAS as well as other OEM manufacturers supplying them to a design spec.

Saying that one company's brand of tweeters has a specific sonic signature present in all speakers using them, no matter the final brand they are sold in, is idiocy.

Spend less time reading a lot of sujectivist drivel on line and use that spare time to actually learn more about electronics and speaker design. Zaph's site, specifically his Tweeter Mishmash page would be a good start. Compare the SEAS tweeters tested with others and tell me why they would be so unbearably bright.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat  /t/1469838/do-most-speaker-companies-use-seas-tweeters-or-use-own-brand#post_23242274

I hear that a lot of companies use other companies drivers and tweeters.

That is true. Some of these drivers are off-the-shelf designs, and some are custom-designed or stock designs with some customization. The number of driver manufacturers is small compared to the number of speaker system manufacturers.
Quote:
I hear that seas tweeters are so bright that a lot of people can't stand them.

Please try to use your brain. A speaker company can easily vary the frequency response and brightness of their products. Why would anybody intentionally and categorically produce what amounts to be defective product that nobody should want to buy?

Every speaker system manufacturer has access to over 100 different sources of drivers. If this guy won't play ball, that guy will.

SEAS has been around for decades. The first speakers I ever had that used SEAS tweeters were Dynaco A25s which were highly respected in those days.
Quote:
any companies that don't use seas and use their own brand tweeters and drivers?

First off, I see no reasonable argument for avoiding speakers with SEAS drivers. If a speaker designer somehow had to build speakers with overly-bright tweeters there are some well-known things that can be done in the crossover to mitigate the situation.

Sounds to me like someone is talking trash. I would advise you to continue to listen to them politely, but seriously question any other similar unusual gems of truth and wisdom that they may try to impart to you.

If they tell you that water is wet and tends to flow downhill, that is OK. ;-)

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
There are many companies that manufacture drivers and most of them make some that are better-quality and some that are not quite so good.

Picking one brand name and saying it sounds a certain way is simplistic and makes no sense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.