AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where the single sub vs multiple sub debate is concerned, even when the single sub is of a higher caliber, i understand that usually it's preferred to have multiple subs placed around the room to even out the response. however, does this benefit hold when the subs will be in close proximity to one another?

my situation is that there's only one place in my room for subs - approximately 60" wide. i can therefore use one larger "better" sub (funds not diluted over two enclosures and drivers) or two smaller subs with less expensive drivers. for example (i'm not firm on these - also looking into JL Audio, Rythmik and Acoustic Elegance), one TC Sounds LMS-R 15 or two TC Sounds Epic 12's.

I understand the benefit of multiple subs in the room, however, i can really only space them apart by a few feet. will this tight grouping have the same frequency smoothing effect as when multiple smaller subs are placed farther apart in the room, or since they will be virtually colocated, does one 'better' sub make more sense?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Technically speaking, subs that are within quarter-wavelengths (IIRC) of the material being played should act as one due to a coupling effect. (I think?)

Multiple drivers will reduce excursion for a given output, when compared to a single driver, which will reduce harmonic distortion and help play 'cleaner'. I think that you also get +3dB sensitivity for doubling drivers and, if you double power, another +3dB on top, so +6dB for, say, two subs in the same location but with double the power.

Downsides are that you will still have the same room modes excited as a single sub, with perhaps reductions in the vertical plane room modes due to changes in height of the drivers from the floor when stacked.

I think...

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemX  /t/1520961/do-multiple-subs-still-h...ngle-when-placed-close-together#post_24438334

Technically speaking, subs that are within quarter-wavelengths...act as one due to a coupling effect.

Downsides are that you will still have the same room modes excited as a single sub, with perhaps reductions in the vertical plane room modes due to changes in height of the drivers from the floor when stacked.
Correct. In short, it will be louder, but not better. If you want it better as well as louder spread the subs out, as far as possible, preferably with one in the front of the room and one in the back. using two smaller subs rather than one larger one can make that easier. If there's the will there's a way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts