AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do current Blu ray movie releases look any better than the older model releases even if they all support 1080 P


For example I bought Dinosaur today on blu ray from bestbuy for only $13 bucks. I got them to price match the walmart price.

But the date on when the blu ray was manufactured says 2006.


I looked online and there is gonna be a 2nd release on blu ray in february of 2011.


Do you think the quality will be a big improvement ? should i take it back and get my money while its still sealed and wayt for the new release ?


Cause ive never purchased any later release blu rays before i always get tbem when they 1st come out so i dont know if there is an improvement on the quality even though they will always be 1080P


For example I had the 1997 DVD release of tim burtons Batman film from 1989 and looks like crap when you try to play it in HD but when i bought the 2007 dvd release it looks 10 times better.


So just curious if the newer blu ray title releases look better than the orginal ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,023 Posts
Sometimes studios just repackage the same damn transfer. Sometimes they make it worse... ala Predator.


Warner Brothers has double dipped on a few of their titles and yet still didn't go back and re-encode or do any other improvements to the feature... even when they were clearly needed: like less filtering, higher bitrate, lossy to lossless audio, etc.


Disney might with "Dinosaur." They're sometimes better than other studios when it comes to re-releases, especially with their animated titles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
It's probably just going to be either a simple re-price or a re-packaging. The data on the "new" discs is going to be identical to the "old" ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge /forum/post/19504313


It's probably just going to be either a simple re-price or a re-packaging. The data on the "new" discs is going to be identical to the "old" ones.

It depends. Wasn't the first release MPEG-2 with 16 bit PCM audio? They may re-encode the digital files with AVC and do 24 bit DTS-MA this time.


With their 2 disc re-release of No Country For Old Men they replaced the 16 bit PCM audio track with a 24 bit DTS-MA re-encode.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman /forum/post/19504369


It depends. Wasn't the first release MPEG-2 with 16 bit PCM audio? They may re-encode the digital files with AVC and do 24 bit DTS-MA this time.


With their 2 disc re-release of No Country For Old Men they replaced the 16 bit PCM audio track with a 24 bit DTS-MA re-encode.

says on the back 5.1 48 khz, 24-bit uncompressed sound.


It doesnt say if its AVC or MPEG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,268 Posts
The important thing is the quality of the transfer they're using, not when the disc was manufactured. Crappy new discs come out all the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 /forum/post/19505135


The important thing is the quality of the transfer they're using, not when the disc was manufactured. Crappy new discs come out all the time.

reason i was concerned of the quality difference with the manufactures date is because every pre release dvd ive bought beats the 1st release with video and sound quality.


Like i posted above the 2007 batman dvd release looks a hell alot better than the 1997 dvd release.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
There being a 5 year difference between releases, I would personally return it if I knew that a new one was coming out in 2011. After all, the last release was 2006! But, like everyone else has mentioned, studios are notorious for simply repackaging discs. It happens all the time. But, this usually happens with releases 2-3 years later. I (personally) haven't seen a Blu-ray re-release 5 years later that is the same as the first release. So, I vote that you take a chance and return it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,839 Posts
Like a few other studios, Disney is throwing together some Blu-ray + DVD reissues of existing releases. It is possible that these will be different from the originals, however most of these from other studios have been identical thus far so it's likely that this will also be the same as the existing release. There really haven't been too many true reissues that vary the video or audio encoding of the original releases.


The original Dinosaur had a 24-bit LPCM track along with lossy 1509kbps DTS and 640kbps Dolby Digital companions. The video was indeed MPEG-2 at about 21Mbps with several poor reviews and the extras are rather paltry on the BD-25, so there is perhaps room for improvement.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champer /forum/post/19504169


Do current Blu ray movie releases look any better than the older model releases even if they all support 1080 P


For example I bought Dinosaur today on blu ray from bestbuy for only $13 bucks. I got them to price match the walmart price.

But the date on when the blu ray was manufactured says 2006.

I looked online and there is gonna be a 2nd release on blu ray in february of 2011.Do you think the quality will be a big improvement ? should i take it back and get my money while its still sealed and wayt for the new release ?


Cause ive never purchased any later release blu rays before i always get tbem when they 1st come out so i dont know if there is an improvement on the quality even though they will always be 1080P


For example I had the 1997 DVD release of tim burtons Batman film from 1989 and looks like crap when you try to play it in HD but when i bought the 2007 dvd release it looks 10 times better.


So just curious if the newer blu ray title releases look better than the orginal ones.

Hopefully they will not use any previous filtering or enhancements.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top