AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10+ year old Sony 6.1 receiver connected by optical cable to my computer. A problem it always had (with digital connections only) that's really annoying with computer use is that whenever the computer sends a sound, there's about a half second delay before the receiver starts audio playback, in other words, the first half second or so of every sound is not played.

For example, a sound that quickly says "one two three" sounds like "two three", and very short sounds like beeps simply don't play at all. This isn't a problem with videos or music which have a continuous audio signal, but for the occasional computer sounds it can be a problem for sounds I want to hear.

I was wondering if newer systems still have this delay between when a digital audio signal comes and when the audio actually starts coming out of the speakers, that would be one more reason to upgrade.

By the way, if you use your receiver just for music and video/tv, you probably won't be able to tell it has this problem, it's only noticeable with short computer sounds.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
It's an inherent problem with optical and coaxal (SPDIF) digital audio connections. It takes time for the receiver to lock on to the signal, so any receiver will have this problem.

However it's something that can be solved on the computer end. My PC always sends a valid signal over it's optical output even if nothing is playing. If your operating system and/or sound card drivers don't do this then you can try playing silence in a loop to keep the receiver locked on to the signal. I'm using Windows 7 and the Realtek drivers for my onboard motherboard audio for what its worth.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts