AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Samsung F8500 plasma TV, which I bought because I heard that it has a good anti-reflection filter. It's not good enough in my opinion. If I watch a movie with a lot of dark scenes, I'll be staring at a reflection of myself and the rest of my living room. I've tried watching movies in the dark, with a small lamp in the corner of the room for ambient lighting. This completely eliminated the reflections, but I'm having a hard time getting used to the idea of sitting in my living room in the dark. It just doesn't feel right. And I don't like having to wait until sunset to watch a movie. I should be able to watch a movie whenever I want.

I'm thinking about getting an OLED TV this year. Does anyone know if they have anti-reflection filters that are better than the F8500? Is it true that the curved shape reduces reflections? Which is the least reflective TV on the market right now?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
cant speak to the 8500 but I wouldn't say the oled filters arent good, the reflections are still there
luckily, the pq is very very strong, both on the brightness and blacks, so in that aspect, it will show better in darker and brighter rooms

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
You should place a small light BEHIND the TV to ease eye strain; I've done this for years, and if it isn't too bright, it shouldn't mess with your color perception.
To answer your question, the 2015 line of LG OLED HDTV's feature a new "anti-glare" filter that seems to be getting good reviews.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The F8500 has the best filter on the market present or past............good luck!

You might want to put your television in Standard mode and jack the cell light to 20.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The F8500 has the best filter on the market present or past............good luck!

You might want to put your television in Standard mode and jack the cell light to 20.
How do you know the F8500 has the best filter?

Changing the cell light isn't going to help. The dark scenes will still be dark and that's how they should be.

I might continue using the small lamp I mentioned in my first post. It's currently positioned in between several pieces of furniture. By moving the furniture I can control how much ambient light there is in the room.

I might also try watching movies before sunset with all the window blinds pulled all the way down. That way, the room will be darker than it would be at night with the lights on, but there would still be enough sunlight coming from the top of the window to avoid eye strain.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
The F8500 has a very good AR Filter where black is black even in a lighter room. What is the most important Thing, no washed out colours, but still the brilliant Picture that only a glossy Panel can deliver.

Could you make a photo of the room and light Situation.

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
I imagine this is one thing that a bright store floor would actually be useful for testing...
Bright stores mimic bright livingrooms while watching saturday morning cartoons, or bright afternoons when watching daytime soaps, or bright evenings when you have all the lights on and entertaining.

Watching in pitch black is something many people do, but not exclusively. It's good to test your TV next to others in both conditions to get an accurate impression and comparison. If you watch 50-50 daytime nighttime, you're probably better off with a brighter set. If you watch lots of sci-fi or horror at night with all the lights off, then the best black level wins. And everything in between.

But not comparing TVs in both bright AND dark rooms has in the past favored one TV tech vs another. Thankfully OLED is good in both, but not great, due to reflections. But most TVs have glossy panels so they all pretty much suck in that regard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.