AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the Omnisat manual and it stated that there is a supplied stand/ceiling clip. But I read in a customer review that there was no mounting brackets. Which is it?

These are the original Omnisats.

thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to mount two to the ceiling and three to the walls.

Do you like yours?

Do you like the surround effects from movies? Can you localize the sounds or is it just like the sound is all around and hard to localize?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I really like the speakers. They create an incredible sound and large stage from a small speaker.

The surround effects are fantastic. One scene I love to show off for friends is from The Matrix when Neo is dodging bullets in slow motion. The sound from the bullet clearly starts in the center channel and zings through the left front and past you to the left rear. People have turned their heads to follow it. You know where the sound is coming from.

I have read some people who feel the center channel could use more direction but I haven't found it to be a problem. Other reviews I have read say that matching all five speakers is important so who knows.

Home Theater magazine online has a review from November 2002 that first got me interested in these speakers. Sorry, I can't post URLs yet.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and probably all the rest. I read conflicting information, so it is great resource to hear from someone who has had these for a long time.

As far as the center channel, the only thing I care about is for the dialog to be clear and easily heard. I don't want to have to strain to hear the words or have to turn the center speaker up more than 2 db. If I can hear it easily and it is just unconventional sounding that will be OK.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Maybe someone can help me with speaker placement for these. I just bought them from the deal on Vanns. My TV console has a middle shelf and door with mesh designed to hide the center channel speaker. As these speakers are not directional, would putting the speaker inside the compartment be detrimental to the setup.

I like the idea of being able to hide the center channel for a much cleaner look. Otherwise, the placement would get more kludgey.

Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My other options are:

- Mount it on the ceiling above the TV, but I have a dropped ceiling (instead of drywall), so I don't know if it would support the speaker

- Mount it on the wall about 3 feet above and behind the TV. Would I have the same issue about distorting the sound? I have a Sony 60 LCOS tv on a console stand, so the speaker would be above the TV (clear line of site), but the TV would still be somewhat indirectly between the listener and the speaker

- I do have an Advent center channel speaker that I could use instead, but would that match the 4 satellites?

·
Registered
8 Posts
They are pretty heavy so I don't think drop ceiling will be able to hold it. Above and behind the TV is likely the best option. Be sure to mount it upside down since it will likely be quite high.

If there is enough room on your console you could place it in front of the TV on the top shelf.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hooked them up and they brought a tear to my eye. I love em.

I was really worried because I decided to go with clearance items that were open boxes. They were $335 for five shipped, so I thought I would give them a try. Then I read a review that stated they were not happy with the clearance Omnisats. While these were being shipped Vanns ran out of the new ones. I thought I had made a mistake, but luckily these were in great shape.

They came with a ceiling clip and are simple to wall mount with a single screw.

A subwoofer is required.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.