AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen it mentioned several times that Electrohome pj's need 3 resistors replaced to allow vertical height to be reduced enough to squeeze anamorphic down properly.

Are 8xx Barco's and PG/XG NEC's able to do this without modification?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Hi Noah,

The Marquee was designed for more square aspect ratios used in high res computers (Sunn, SGI, DEC, etc) and therefore required an emphasis on a taller range of raster. Since it's pretty much a set range through electronics, there's no additional range setting other than what's available with the internal geometry menu. Contrast that with Barco's master vertical height pots on the vertical deflection bd which alters the overall range to be affected by the goemetry sizing (which should answer your question regarding Bar(f)co's). NEC designed in adequate range for all aspect ratios, so no external adjustments are necessary. However, once the Marquee's resistor mod is performed, it has as much or more range than any other PJ out there (including NEC). And, of course, it can be set up for multiple aspect ratios at the same freq as well.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Noah,

the Nec XG is very flexible in this regard. As you might know, i am running my system in a constant area method (see link in my sign.). When the screen is masked to the 2.35:1 ratio, i am actually running a 2.35:1 resolution. The XG has the latitude in width/height adjustment to make this possible. So running 16:9, like you ask for, is no problem at all. Heck, by tweaking the horizontal porches slightly smaller, i even have a 2.76:1 resolution running!

I am calling this 'active area scanning', because for all common film ratios (1.33:1, 1.66:1, 1.85:1, 2.35:1...) i only scan the actual picture content and no black bars. Doing this allows me to keep the scanrate low with a given a fix refresh rate, which is beneficial for picture sharpness.

And because the beam is actually scanning slower due to lower scanrate, the phosphor decay is optimized. The result is a picture that is a little brighter and seems to have more punch when the projectors peaking capability is asked for.

Ok, this goes a bit beyond what you asked, so the short answer for the XG's is YES. :p

Regards

Bjoern

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'd also have to assume that you're referring ONLY to the Marquee series. Yes they do, however the EH ECP series to NOT require a resister mod. A nice little pot provides all the vertical squeeze required for a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Oz

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Sure...

Go to utilities, channel list, then using the cursors to go up/down through the characters, label one channel 4:3 aspect, and the other 16:9 aspect. While you are on that channel row, move right and assign the 4:3 aspect to whatever input you're plugged into (I'm assuming 1) then assign under recall a recall memory that's unused (let's assume you're not using any yet - put a 01 there). Now you've assigned the channel # 1 to access input 1, recall 1 whenever you press the digit one on the remote. Now go to the next line and do the 16:9 the same way...input 1, but recall 2 which is the next unused recall memory. Now go to ...utilities, preferences, then set your channel select for 1 digit select - this way you only have to press the #1 to recall that channel # instead of pressing 0,1. Also, you might change your your blanking timing to .5 sec for much faster switching.

Now that you have your channels set up, press 1, then converge and size for 4:3 aspect. when finished, press 2 and now resize and converge for 16:9. You can do the same procedure as many times as you'd like, but if you somehow manage to come up with more than 9 setups, you'll need to switch back to 2 button channel select. Hope that clears the air.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.