AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Audio Pros,

I put a 4 zone A-BUS WHA system into my old (smaller) house back in 2003. I found it easy to work with and the line-level audio distribution to keypad worked well. We've now moved to a much-larger fixer-upper and as I run other electric, I'd also like to put speakers in the ceilings and run WHA wires.

Do people still use A-BUS? Is it an ok solution? or is it "toyish"? I know Sonos is very popular, but I would like everything hidden in walls and really don't want to spend that much.

Would A-BUS still be a good choice for a NON-audiophile who just wants nice background party music over a LARGE 1st floor? Or are there better, more modern alternatives?

In my old house, I had the input setup to an apple TV, so I could control my music via an iOS device over my home wireless network which seemed to work well too.

Any thoughts on A-BUS today would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,

Jay

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Well, if you're able to run wires, I wouldn't recommend a new A-Bus installation... Home run speaker wires and drop a cat5e wire for a keypad in each room. Loop the speaker wires through the keypad location so you *can* use A-Bus / Digi-5. But the centralized amplifier-based systems are "better", generally speaking. Do the wiring correctly, though, and you can use any of the systems on the market.

Jeff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Package?

Thanks Jeff,

Are there any bundled packages you'd recommend? For the central amplifier and keypads I mean (I think I know where to get nice speakers).

Also, what gauge wire would you recommend me running? Does it depend on the distance? Some of these speaker will be probably 50-60ft from the amplifier.

Thanks!

Jay

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
The centralized systems will have their own keypads (proprietary) - they are not interchangeable. They are sold generally as system packages with keypads included (also typically available as pieces, too).

16AWG wire is typical for WHA purposes, and is fine for 50-60' runs for these systems. But yes, the longer the run, the larger the wire should be. I wouldn't use less than 16AWG, but larger wire is probably not necessary, either.

Monoprice is an excellent source for in-wall speaker wire.

Jeff

·
Registered
111 Posts
Audio Pros,

I put a 4 zone A-BUS WHA system into my old (smaller) house back in 2003. I found it easy to work with and the line-level audio distribution to keypad worked well. We've now moved to a much-larger fixer-upper and as I run other electric, I'd also like to put speakers in the ceilings and run WHA wires.

Do people still use A-BUS? Is it an ok solution? or is it "toyish"? I know Sonos is very popular, but I would like everything hidden in walls and really don't want to spend that much.

Would A-BUS still be a good choice for a NON-audiophile who just wants nice background party music over a LARGE 1st floor? Or are there better, more modern alternatives?

In my old house, I had the input setup to an apple TV, so I could control my music via an iOS device over my home wireless network which seemed to work well too.

Any thoughts on A-BUS today would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Run two Cat-6 Ethernet cables everywhere you want (or might want) control pads.

Go to ebay and buy a Nuvo Grand Concerto system.

For around $2k you'll have an elegant system with up to 8 zones (only 6 OLED control pads are included though). For an audio source, get an iPod dock and an old Ipod for $200. Load the ipod with music and you'll be able to browse right from the control panel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts