AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do and should poeple still use FFDshow? Its now Sept 2003 and alot of updates to all the software has happened.

I myself have a pentium 2.8ghz cpu

1gig ram 3200

Gigbyte i875 chipset MB

Radeon 9600pro 3.7 catalyst

Revolution7.1 soundcard

WinXP pro

TheaterTek

all current drivers and updates.

Why would I use FFDshow? TT looks great! Why would someone use Resize? I play all my movies at 1280x768 on a Pioneer 50" 503cmx Plasma screen and a Ehome 8500 CRT projector using RGB cables.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I am sure plenty of people are still using ffdshow. Actually I wouldn't know why someone wouldn't if there htpc can handle it. Personally, I wouldn't watch without it. If you think TT looks good without ffdshow you really owe it to yourself to take a few minutes and search on how to properly set it up. My htpc cannot handle resize but the sharpening ability alone improves my image significantly if not dramatically.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry if I didn't look this up but what and why is Resize?

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Read the FAQ thread. Basically it scales the image up allowing you to apply filters on the scaled image instead of just the original. I originally dismissed ffdshow because I didn't care for the results, but with resize, TheaterTek and ffdshow is noticably better.

Cary

·
Registered
491 Posts
I just use ffdshow again with TT after dumb it.

I dissappoint with the PQ result after using unsharp and gradual denoise.

But I give ffdshow another chance (also curious why people praise ffdshow),this time I use resize and I like the result.:)

Cary,

Beside resize-sharpen, do you use another filter?

What resize method do you use?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I used it but got rid of it. I noticed that it added wonderful detail in close up shots, but tiny details in the background (crowds, cars, etc...) received too much false information.

After using it for about a month, I turned it off, just for kicks. And my picture looks better without it.

I started off using 20,20 unsharp and denoise.

Moved to 18, 18

Then moved to 12, 12.

Then moved to removing it completely.

To everyone using the "resize" what are the benefits of this?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
resize doesnt appear to have as much artificial sharpness to it in lots of areas.

I use resize with luma set to 1.5, chroma set to1 and I also use gradual denoise set to 20

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I was never a huge fan of ffdshow until I upgraded my HTPC to a 3.06 Hyperthread monster and was able to do a large re-size with it. My Mit's RPTV has a native rez of 1920x1080i so I use ffdshow to re-size to that rez and then apply sharpen at 1.6 and chroma at 1.0. Then my Radeon only needs to interlace the video and send it to the Mit's. The results are jaw dropping, my entire family noticed the difference. The only downside is that my CPU runs at near 100% at these settings and I wonder if that's a good thing or not. It does not get overheated at all but it sure is working hard.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I feel that ffdshow is what really sets the output from my HTPC to my DLP projector apart from my stand-alone DVD player -- the improved PQ is what makes all the HTPC hassle worth while.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Is there any good sites that outline how to configure FFDShow to work with various Software DVD players?

Also im thinking of getting TT, does it have the abillity to automaticly pillar box 4:3 material in the the middle of a 16:9 screen?

The res will be something like 1024 x 580 feed to an X1 Projector and while ALL DTV and DVD's I watch a 16:9 many US DVD tiltles for some strange reason have 4:3 extras and letterboxed extras (can it remove letter boxing also so fills 16:9).

D

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spoonfed
Is there any good sites that outline how to configure FFDShow to work with various Software DVD players?

Also im thinking of getting TT, does it have the abillity to automaticly pillar box 4:3 material in the the middle of a 16:9 screen?

The res will be something like 1024 x 580 feed to an X1 Projector and while ALL DTV and DVD's I watch a 16:9 many US DVD tiltles for some strange reason have 4:3 extras and letterboxed extras (can it remove letter boxing also so fills 16:9).

D

To my knowledge (and I could easily be wrong) only TT and ZP offer the ability to include ffdshow. Good sites are either here or over at the TT forum under Tips&Hints.

TT offers full AR tweakability, even on a per individual disk base.

____

Axel

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spoonfed

D

To my knowledge (and I could easily be wrong) only TT and ZP offer the ability to include ffdshow. Good sites are either here or over at the TT forum under Tips&Hints.

TT offers full AR tweakability, even on a per individual disk base.

____

Axel

·
Registered
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stylinlp
Sorry if I didn't look this up but what and why is Resize?
Actually - it is said that using ffdshow to resize/scale will produce better results than simply letting your video card do the resize/scale.

I have yet to try this, because I just haven't had the time, but I plan on it.

Also, from what I've read, unsharpen mask is a 'taboo' filter to run (which I am, since it was reccomended in the TT forum).

From what I gather from the long ffdshow FAQ, for optimal results, one should simply use gradual denoise first, then use the resize function (using whatever method your processor can handle). In order of best to worst (as well as most cpu intensive to least):

Sinc, Spline, Lanzcros, Bicubic, Experimental (I think.. :))

IMHO, I just dont't see how hardware scaling/resizing can be so much worse than the above mentioned options, but I'm gonna see for myself.

-Ryan

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RyanDinan

IMHO, I just dont't see how hardware scaling/resizing can be so much worse than the above mentioned options, but I'm gonna see for myself.

-Ryan
There's nothing inherently better or worse about H/W scaling versus S/W scaling. It's just that the H/W scaling algorithm is fixed and as such you are stuck with whatever the guys at ATI or nVidia decided is best.

Ideally, they would have put a scaling "engine" in that would support different algorithms and coefficients, i.e. a H/W version of ffdshow. Is this doable in silicon? Yes, and in fact it's not a terribly hard problem to solve either. Is it worth it for ATI/nVidia? Probably not unless it's going to sell cards to gamers.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jvincent
There's nothing inherently better or worse about H/W scaling versus S/W scaling. It's just that the H/W scaling algorithm is fixed and as such you are stuck with whatever the guys at ATI or nVidia decided is best.

Ideally, they would have put a scaling "engine" in that would support different algorithms and coefficients, i.e. a H/W version of ffdshow. Is this doable in silicon? Yes, and in fact it's not a terribly hard problem to solve either. Is it worth it for ATI/nVidia? Probably not unless it's going to sell cards to gamers.
Sure -

But what does ATI and Nvidia use for scaling? If it's an older, sloppier algorithm, then I can understand why ffdshow would allow for slightly better scaling results. I was under the assumption that ATI/Nvidia, etc used bicubic scaling....

Anyway, I really doubt that it's the scaling algorithm that's making the "difference" in IQ. I think it's the sharpening and luma/chroma sharpening...

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I guess I'm getting a bit confused since I'm still new to FFDSHOW and Resize et all. But when you play a DVD back for instance with FFDShow off, doesn't it just play back at whatever the default DVD resolution is? Doesn't this require the use of Resize then or am I just mistaken?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cowtown
I guess I'm getting a bit confused since I'm still new to FFDSHOW and Resize et all. But when you play a DVD back for instance with FFDShow off, doesn't it just play back at whatever the default DVD resolution is? Doesn't this require the use of Resize then or am I just mistaken?
You are correct. Your video card is scaling the DVD to your desktop res.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Quote:
doesn't it just play back at whatever the default DVD resolution is?
Actually your DVD plays back at the video resolution of your desktop. In this case, your video card is resizing from 720x480 to, say 1280x720.

With FFDShow's Resize algorithm, the CPU is used to scale from 720x480 to 1280x720.

Basically, you're by passing the scaling software that runs on your video card and using - subjectively, a better scalling algorithm as provided by FFDshow - running on your computer's CPU.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Cool, thanks for the clarification. So in many cases it would be better to keep a lower desktop res to keep video card load down and let Resize do the work I suppose.

What about HD vids from say Microsoft or the T2 WMP9 files?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.