AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like title says, does the PQ improve as the set ages? How quick?

The next day the overall PQ seems to keep improving.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Even though phosphors age, I think overall PQ does settle in over time. I tweak my set's calibration settings a good deal and have been at it for nearly five years. If it looks like something is drifting I jump back in, check what's up and correct it. Set is now at 18.2K hours and still going strong. PQ seems better than ever to my eyes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
TV's tend to settle as they age. Do they look better with age is a very subjective question. I was reading a review on one of the new Panasonic plasmas, and they had said alot of the color errors disappeared or greatly improved after a few hundred hours. But they do lose brightness over time as in years and from what's being spoken on the forums, 12G and possibly 13G panasonic plasmas in particular are losing deep blacks after about 1000 hours.

So what are you directly asking? And what TV do you have they is looking better the next day? What model do you have?

TV's aren't like wine. If won't continually look better every year. I'd say TV's are more like beer. After making the wort and you left it ferment, It settles and tastes better after it's "broken in" so to speak. But just like beer, TV's have a shelf life and slowly it will lose brightness and taste bad. Only difference is beer is bad after about 3 or so months. TV's are normally unwatchable after 15 or 20 years. The reference still holds up though.

·
Banned
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanplumber /forum/post/18318396

TV's tend to settle as they age. Do they look better with age is a very subjective question. I was reading a review on one of the new Panasonic plasmas, and they had said alot of the color errors disappeared or greatly improved after a few hundred hours. But they do lose brightness over time as in years and from what's being spoken on the forums, 12G and possibly 13G panasonic plasmas in particular are losing deep blacks after about 1000 hours.

So what are you directly asking? And what TV do you have they is looking better the next day? What model do you have?

TV's aren't like wine. If won't continually look better every year. I'd say TV's are more like beer. After making the wort and you left it ferment, It settles and tastes better after it's "broken in" so to speak. But just like beer, TV's have a shelf life and slowly it will lose brightness and taste bad. Only difference is beer is bad after about 3 or so months. TV's are normally unwatchable after 15 or 20 years. The reference still holds up though.

Off Topic--beer has a very short shelf-life anything much more than 2 weeks is too long.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its a 50" Samsung Plasma.

compared from when i first got it to now, the Trails/ghosting are almost non existant, the colors look more natural. Blacks slightly improved. Motion improved, IR resistant is way better now.

Can't really explain, its like the PQ overall just improves little by little as i put on more hours.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a 58" Samsung plasma and I also think the PQ has improved since I bought it. However, my eyes are also a bit older. And I have had it calibrated a couple of times. So who is to say? Maybe I am seeing a bit less and reconciling a bit more? That' s just me, of course. More seriously, impossible to say without a double blind experiment which is itself not possible...

·
Registered
221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad473 /forum/post/18318772

you're drinking the wrong beers then

What the heck are you drinking that tastes good after 3 months?

I drink Sam Adams, Molson Canadian, Labatt's, and on the occasion Bud light.

But your somewhat right. I'm sure Natty Light, Steel Reserve, PBR, Coors, and Busch taste just as good after 6 months. I meant crap. Sorry I always get those 2 confused

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanplumber /forum/post/18319538

What the heck are you drinking that tastes good after 3 months?

I drink Sam Adams, Molson Canadian, Labatt's, and on the occasion Bud light.

But your somewhat right. I'm sure Natty Light, Steel Reserve, PBR, Coors, and Busch taste just as good after 6 months. I meant crap. Sorry I always get those 2 confused

any big beer, like a russian imperial stout for example, will often be better with age. There's a reason why people cellar them and other micro's for up to a year or more. But anyway, we're way off topic.

yes, both of my plasmas seemed to get better with age with the most noticeable differences coming in the first month.

·
Registered
364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetthal /forum/post/18318806

Can't really explain, its like the PQ overall just improves little by little as i put on more hours.

I feel the same with my LG. After almost two years it looks the best it ever has. I have calibrated it 3 times (grey scale and color CMS) and each time was an improvment. It's like the colors have settled in and it holds it's grey scale much better.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I feel my 2 year old KURO is at its best right now. However, I dont believe it gets physically better per-say, its just that:

- Over time you are likely to tweak/calibrate/adjust your set and get it really dialed in nicely. Once I applied D-Nice settings and entered the SM, things really got good!

- You become a better viewer and learn(from sites like this) how to become a more critical viewer and are able to spot issues that you may have not noticed when the set was new.

- Your sources probably get better over time. Better blu-rays/DVDs, better players, better cabling, etc, etc. It all adds up.

So, yeah , they get better over time but probably not on their own.
Thats my take on it.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetthal /forum/post/18318204

Like title says, does the PQ improve as the set ages? How quick?

The next day the overall PQ seems to keep improving.

I would say yes. AV forum had to amend their review of the 2010 Panasonic G20 because picture flaws they saw in their initial review disappeared after the set had some hours on it. They don't specify how many, but I would imagine a couple-hundred.

Quote:
Note: during the initial review process of the Panasonic TX-P42G20, the colour performance measured as "Good", having largely correct Hue and Saturation properties, but including Luminance (colour brightness) errors. After more hours of "run-in", these errors have disappeared (almost) entirely, making way for "Excellent" performance. Because these properties appear to improve rapidly after turning a new unit on, we have modified the review as necessary.

·
Registered
812 Posts
With just over 200 hours on mine, I would have to say, "Yes". I am much more impressed with it than when I first got it. The IR is pretty much a non-issue, now and 1080p seems to just POP more than it did originally.

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
During the first 200 to 300 hours the colors were too much. After that, the tv settled down and I had it calibrated. I haven't noticed much of a change since the calibration, which is good. However, cable SD/HD as usual still looks like crap. But that is a source issue, and not a Pio issue. BD and OTA HD looks awesome. I waiting to see how MLB looks on my ROKU box before deciding whether to drop cable. It's suppose to look better than last year.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetthal /forum/post/18318806

Its a 50" Samsung Plasma.

compared from when i first got it to now, the Trails/ghosting are almost non existant, the colors look more natural. Blacks slightly improved. Motion improved, IR resistant is way better now.

Mine did that as well, the phosphors do age over time but the main thing that leads to the PQ changes in plasma sets is the voltage adjustments the sets do. With a Panasonic the colors get better but the blacks get worse, with a Samsung it gets better in all the areas that you listed but I also noticed that the dithering has changed greatly from how it acted on day one.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Just bought a samsung pn51f5300. So the more i watch the better picture i get? Awesome! Im really enjoying this tv! Thanks everyone!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts