AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could have posted this question on the DVD forum but I decided to post here because I think the question is more plasma specific. In fact, the answer may depend on which plasma you own.

I did a lot of research before buying every piece of HT equipment I own, except for the DVD player. I own a progressive scan JVC player ($250) which relatively speaking is the cheapest piece of equipment I own. My monitor is the Fujitsu P50 XHA10.

Now that DVI enabled players are being released I was considering purchasing one. However, I'm wondering if I'm going to notice any difference in PQ. I like the idea of eliminating the D/A-A/D conversions which I've been told decreases resolution, increases video noise and induces muddiness in shadow areas. But if you own a plasma is that necessarily true?

I was looking at the Pioneer DV-59AVI which when using the HDMI output scales from 480i to 480P, 720P or 1080i. It seems logical that if you output a digital signal through HDMI at 720P the P50 would need to perform the least amount of scaling and that would result in increased Rez, less video noise and less muddiness in shadow areas. BUT is that true?

If you set the DVD player to 720p and the display's native resolution is 768p aren't both the display and the player scaling? Isn't the signal then prone to more artifacts caused by the double reformatting?

Wouldn't you get a better picture by setting the player to 480i and letting the P50 do all the scaling?

When sending a signal to a digital display, if it isn’t in the display's native resolution, doesn't the display do the same conversion digitally as these new HDMI enabled DVD players?

Will there be a noticeable difference scaling from 720p-to-768p rather than 480i-to-768p or my current setup 480P to 768p... OR would the DV-59AVi (or pick your favorite new HDMI player) do a better job scaling 480i to 720p with the additional scaling by the P50 to 768 making little difference?

I guess my question is since the signal from these players will always be scaled by the P50 to 768p does it make sense to buy a new DVD player that's HDMI enabled and will output at 720p or is the P50 likely to do a better job taking a 480i signal and scaling it to 768p..........which would avoid scaling twice and introducing the possibility of introducing unwanted artifacts?

I know the standard answer is to buy the player and try each output but I want to buy over the internet which makes that method difficult. I would rather hear from any of you.......especially P50 owners........but really from anyone who has a display with an NR around 768. Thank You.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would go with a DVI/HDMI upconverting DVD player with Faroudja.

New Samsung 841/941 due in the summer, plus Bravo D2/D3.

Check out the cheap Samsung 931 that upconverts via DVI.

It is only $300 or less. Try it for 30 days and see if you like it,

Love mine on a Panny plasma.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.